Industrial Uses of Nitride and Carbide Hard Coatings

• Thread starter RPI_Quantum
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of nitride and carbide hard coatings in various industrial applications. The speaker is a student working with these coatings and is interested in learning more about their uses and advantages over traditional case hardening methods. Some examples of applications mentioned include valves, control rods, dental tools, and tools for drive splines and gears. The conversation also mentions advancements in hard coating technology, such as super-hard coatings and CVD-derived coatings.
RPI_Quantum
I'm a student working on some theoretical transition metal nitride hard coatings. I'm involved in sputter deposition and also electron microscopy of samples.

However, I do not know a lot about industrial uses of hard coatings. I was wondering if someone could give me insight into some applications of nitrides and carbides as hard coatings. I'm also curious as to when these thin coatings are more useful than say case hardening of metals.

Any information is appreciated, thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I know that valves have hardcoated surfaces. At one time, IIRC valves were made of Stellite (a cobalt alloy), but in a nuclear system, the cobalt can become radioative if it gets into the core.

Anyway try - http://www.stellite.com/

Also, some control rods are nitrided stainless steel to enhance lifetime to something more that 15 years.

Here are some additional examples -

Super-hard coatings give tools longer life -
http://www.csiro.au/index.asp?type=mediaRelease&id=FADS

Dental Tools – CVD Derived Hard Coatings for Dental Tools
http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID=185

PVD hard coatings advances made over 25 years
http://www.manufacturingtalk.com/news/blz/blz100.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I got turned on by a manufacturer some time ago to using nitrided tool steels for drive splines and some gears applications. The ones I did go with were quite nice and quite durable.

1. What are nitride and carbide hard coatings?

Nitride and carbide hard coatings are thin layers of materials that are applied to the surface of industrial tools and components to increase their hardness, wear resistance, and durability. Nitride coatings are typically made of titanium, chromium, or aluminum, while carbide coatings are made of tungsten, titanium, or chromium.

2. What are the main industrial uses of nitride and carbide hard coatings?

Nitride and carbide hard coatings are commonly used in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing. They are applied to cutting tools, molds, dies, and other components that undergo heavy wear and require high durability. These coatings can also be used to enhance the surface properties of medical devices and electronic components.

3. How are nitride and carbide hard coatings applied?

Nitride and carbide hard coatings are typically applied using physical vapor deposition (PVD) or chemical vapor deposition (CVD) processes. In PVD, the coating material is vaporized and deposited onto the surface of the component through a vacuum chamber. In CVD, a gas containing the coating material is used to form a chemical reaction on the surface, resulting in the deposition of the coating.

4. What are the benefits of using nitride and carbide hard coatings?

The main benefits of using nitride and carbide hard coatings are increased hardness, wear resistance, and durability of industrial tools and components. This can result in longer tool life, reduced maintenance and replacement costs, and improved overall efficiency of industrial processes. These coatings also have low friction, making them ideal for high-speed machining and cutting applications.

5. Are there any environmental concerns related to nitride and carbide hard coatings?

Nitride and carbide hard coatings are generally considered safe and environmentally friendly. They do not contain harmful substances such as lead or chromium VI, and the PVD and CVD processes used for their application are low in emissions and waste. However, it is important to follow proper disposal and recycling guidelines for these coatings to ensure minimal environmental impact.