Want to cut/encode video files easily

In summary, the conversation discusses options for a program that allows for easy and accurate removal of commercials from recorded TV programs, as well as the ability to freely encode videos. Suggestions include Adobe Premiere 6.5/Pro 1.5 for a more expensive solution, or VirtualDub and VirtualDubMod for freeware options. The conversation also briefly mentions the ability to encode videos in MP3 format and the use of "1-pass" and "2-pass" in codecs like xvid.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Ok what would be the best program that allows me to easily and accurately cut out commercials from recorded TV programs? Plus i want to be able to encode the videos rather freely (as opposed to only being given very generic codecs). Any suggestions?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Pengwuino said:
Ok what would be the best program that allows me to easily and accurately cut out commercials from recorded TV programs? Plus i want to be able to encode the videos rather freely (as opposed to only being given very generic codecs). Any suggestions?
Adobe Premiere 6.5 / Pro 1.5 is an expensive solution. For freeware, VirtualDub handles AVIs with no problem, and VirtualDubMod will handle MPEG2 files. They have forums for help with the software.

Ok i have a followup question. How can i do this so that the videos are encoded in MP3 as well? :)

And what's all this "1-pass" and "2-pass" thing in my codecs (like xvid)?

1. How can I cut a video file easily?

To cut a video file easily, you can use video editing software such as Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro. These programs have tools that allow you to easily trim and cut your video files.

2. What is the best video file format for encoding?

The best video file format for encoding depends on your specific needs. However, some commonly used formats for encoding include MP4, AVI, and MOV. It is important to consider factors such as file size, compatibility, and quality when choosing a format.

3. Can I cut and encode a video file at the same time?

Yes, there are video editing software programs that allow you to cut and encode your video files simultaneously. This can save time and make the process more efficient.

4. Is there a free tool for cutting and encoding video files?

Yes, there are several free video editing software programs available that allow you to cut and encode video files. Some popular options include Shotcut, OpenShot, and VSDC Free Video Editor.

5. How long does it take to cut and encode a video file?

The time it takes to cut and encode a video file depends on various factors such as the length of the video, the quality of the video, and the speed of your computer. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours to complete the process.