[Q] The way of phase shifting of reflection light

In summary, the pedrotti optics book explains that when light reflects off the surface of a first layer and then off a second layer, creating a double layer, the phase shift depends on whether the reflections are both external or both internal. If they are both the same, there is no phase shift, but if they are different, there is a phase shift of pi. This is due to the boundary condition of the medium for EM waves. However, the knowledge of boundary conditions alone does not fully explain this phenomenon.
good_phy
Hi, I learned optics with pedrotti optics book.

It is suppopsed that light is reflected on surface of first layer and

then tranmited wave is also reflected on surface of second layer, So there is Double Layer

incident light get there.

According to book, If two reflections are both external reflection or internal reflection,

Phase shift is not occurred (Assume thickness of layer alone is well to make OPL(Optical Path

Length) of two beam in phase)

But If two reflections are either external or internal, Phase shift of Pi occured.

I know boundary condition of medium for EM wave create phase shift of Pi when wave is

reflected on the surface of some medium

But this knowledge alone is not able to explain phenomena mentioned above.

Please Solve my question.

Science news on Phys.org
good_phy said:
I know boundary condition of medium for EM wave create phase shift of Pi when wave is reflected on the surface of some medium
For light of normal incidence, the phase shift upon reflection depends on the refractive index of the medium: If light reflects from a medium of greater refractive index, there will be a phase shift of pi; if it reflects from a medium of lower refractive index, there is no phase shift.

(I'm not sure if this addresses your question, but it might help.)

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your question and explaining your understanding of optics and phase shifting of reflection light.

From what you have described, it seems like you are referring to the phenomenon of interference, where multiple waves of light overlap and create a resulting wave with a different amplitude and phase. In the case of reflection, this can occur when light is reflected off two surfaces, such as in a double layer or multiple layer setup.

The phase shift that you have mentioned is a result of the difference in optical path length (OPL) between the two beams of light. When the OPL is equal, the waves are in phase and no phase shift occurs. However, when there is a difference in OPL, the waves are out of phase and a phase shift of Pi (180 degrees) occurs. This can be explained by the boundary conditions of the medium, as you mentioned.

I would recommend looking into the concept of interference and how it relates to phase shifting in reflection. There are also other factors that can affect the phase shift, such as the angle of incidence and the refractive index of the medium.

I hope this helps to answer your question. Keep exploring and learning about optics, it is a fascinating field of study. Best of luck to you in your studies.

1. What is phase shifting of reflection light?

Phase shifting of reflection light is the phenomenon where the phase of the reflected light changes as it bounces off a surface. This can occur due to changes in the refractive index of the medium, or changes in the angle of incidence.

2. How does phase shifting of reflection light affect the appearance of objects?

Phase shifting of reflection light can cause objects to appear differently depending on the angle of observation. This is known as iridescence, where certain colors may appear more vibrant or muted due to the interference of light waves.

3. What causes phase shifting of reflection light?

Phase shifting of reflection light can be caused by a variety of factors, including changes in the refractive index of the medium, the angle of incidence, and the surface characteristics of the object being reflected.

4. Can phase shifting of reflection light be controlled?

Yes, phase shifting of reflection light can be controlled by manipulating the angle of incidence and the properties of the reflective surface. This is commonly used in applications such as anti-glare coatings on glasses and reducing glare on computer screens.

5. What are the practical applications of studying phase shifting of reflection light?

Understanding phase shifting of reflection light has numerous practical applications, including improving the appearance of objects, reducing glare, and developing new materials and coatings for various industries such as automotive, electronics, and optics.