What is your opinon on Gravitation?

In summary, Gravitation is a great book for those who are looking for a more in-depth understanding of general relativity concepts.
jinksys
I'm looking for an in-depth and detailed book on relativity. My university has Gravitation on its shelves, what is your opinion of it?

I have calc 1, 2, 3 under my belt, and currently in diff eq. Is my math sufficient for the book?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Gravitation"?? There must be 1000 books with that title.

jinksys said:
I'm looking for an in-depth and detailed book on relativity. My university has Gravitation on its shelves, what is your opinion of it?

I have calc 1, 2, 3 under my belt, and currently in diff eq. Is my math sufficient for the book?

What about special relativity? A little Lagrangian mechanics and linear algebra might also be useful.

Gravitation is an excellent book, but, for self-study today, I recommend either Gravity:An Introduction to Einstein's Relativity by James Hartle or General Relativity: An Introduction for Physicists by Hobson, Efstathiou, and Lasenby.
ansgar said:
"Gravitation"?? There must be 1000 books with that title.

In the context of relativity, there is only one "Gravitation". :biggrin:

I'll second the Hartle book for an introduction. Gravitation is a wonderful book to dip into, but simply too much for an introduction, and Hartle has put a lot of thought into teaching GR at the introductory level.

General Relativity: An Introduction for Physicists

What? All the other books are written for dental hygienists? ;)
I hope the publisher chose the title.

Daverz said:
I'll second the Hartle book for an introduction. Gravitation is a wonderful book to dip into, but simply too much for an introduction, and Hartle has put a lot of thought into teaching GR at the introductory level.

What? All the other books are written for dental hygienists? ;)
I hope the publisher chose the title.

there are books for mathematicians and laymens etc.

To the OP: just so you know, physics textbooks are normally referred to by the names of their authors because the titles are often so similar. In this case, Misner, Thorne and Wheeler (or MTW for short if they've already been mentioned in a discussion).

Usually the name of the author and the general subject are sufficient to identify a textbook. There are rare exceptions like Sakurai who wrote a couple of widely-used books on quantum mechanics at different levels.

also universally known as the "telephone directory" (MTW)!

sean carroll's text is also an excellent book for the young student. you can get most of it online in the form of his lecture notes if you don't want to splurge on the nice binding.

"Gravitation" is a fabulous masterpiece, but more as a place to look for clarification on numerous conceptual details.

I would start with J. L. Martin's and Wolfgang Rindler's books. The former leads you to simple calculations quickly, and the latter is good for conceptual subtleties, though like MTW it cannot be read linearly. A slightly more advanced text is Weinberg, which I like very much for its common-sense, non-geometrical view, and like Martin's text, it can be read linearly.

Lewis Ryder also has a new introductory text. The bits I read were very entertaining.

Woodhouse from Oxford compiled two textbooks on SR and GR, I think it's in the SUMS series of Springer. As an introduction I think it's quite perfect, to supplement your self study check GR and SR courses sites, they have goodies. (-:

Recently I found a site of someone from Durham University, she maintains a course site in GR.
here it is:
http://maths.dur.ac.uk/~dma0vh/GR/Welcome.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm currently on my way through the book, and I must say that it has been a great experience so far. It delivers some kind of deeper understanding of the concepts of general relativity. It might seem a bit overwhelming at first, but once you're used to the way it is written, you can get very much out of it.

1. What is the concept of gravitation?

Gravitation is the natural phenomenon by which all physical bodies with mass are attracted to one another. This force of attraction is dependent on the mass and distance between the objects.

2. How did the concept of gravitation come about?

The concept of gravitation was first proposed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century. He developed the theory of universal gravitation, which states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the role of gravitation in our daily lives?

Gravitation plays a crucial role in our daily lives. It is responsible for keeping us grounded on the Earth, causing objects to fall towards the ground, and keeping our planet in its orbit around the Sun. It also plays a significant role in the formation and movement of celestial bodies in the universe.

4. Are there any other theories or explanations for gravitation?

While Newton's theory of gravitation is widely accepted, there have been other theories and explanations proposed over the years. These include Einstein's theory of general relativity, which explains gravitation as the curvature of spacetime, and quantum gravity, which seeks to unify gravity with the other fundamental forces of nature.

5. How does the concept of gravitation impact the field of science?

Gravitation is a fundamental aspect of physics and has a significant impact on various fields of science, including astronomy, cosmology, and space exploration. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the structure and behavior of the universe and has led to many advancements and discoveries in these fields.