The Evolution of Alcohol Tolerance: A Genetic Response to Human Consumption?

In summary, different individuals and races have varying levels of alcohol tolerance due to genetic selection. It is unclear whether people craved alcohol before it became abundant or if the trait became more prominent after alcoholic inventions. Light alcohol (5%) can hydrate and is less likely to be poisonous. Alcohol tolerance is strongest in Europe and the Mediterranean due to a combination of suitable climate and extensive trade relationships. In Medieval Europe, alcohol was consumed frequently as it was safer than water, potentially leading to a selection pressure for Europeans to have a higher alcohol tolerance. This tolerance was then passed onto descendants in other regions. The prevalence of alcohol consumption in Europe from the Roman era to the 20th century may have also contributed to the genetic selection for alcohol tolerance.
Balloono
As different individuals and races are very different comparing this trait, alcohol tolerance has/is probably under heavy genetic selection. As there isn't much alcohol outside human society, i wonder whether people craved alcohol by accident already before it became abundant or did that trait also become more prominent after alcoholic inventions. If the first one is true then possibly people less affected by alcohol gave more children but the whole group became vulnerable compared to sober human populations. If the latter is true then it was beneficial being able to consume alcohol and doing a lot of it. As i understand light alcohol (5%) does in fact hydrate you? and is less prone to becoming poisonous in other ways? Also why alcohol tolerance became strongest in Europe, Mediterranean? More suitable climate and more extensive trade relationships?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Balloono said:
Also why alcohol tolerance became strongest in Europe, Mediterranean? More suitable climate and more extensive trade relationships?
Because everybody who drank the water instead of beer died of dysentry/cholera/typhoid/the dreaded lurg

If tea had been around in europe then people might have drunk tea instead like most east-asians

Balloono said:
As different individuals and races are very different comparing this trait, alcohol tolerance has/is probably under heavy genetic selection. As there isn't much alcohol outside human society, i wonder whether people craved alcohol by accident already before it became abundant or did that trait also become more prominent after alcoholic inventions. If the first one is true then possibly people less affected by alcohol gave more children but the whole group became vulnerable compared to sober human populations. If the latter is true then it was beneficial being able to consume alcohol and doing a lot of it. As i understand light alcohol (5%) does in fact hydrate you? and is less prone to becoming poisonous in other ways? Also why alcohol tolerance became strongest in Europe, Mediterranean? More suitable climate and more extensive trade relationships?

If I remember correctly in Medieval Europe alcohol was consumed quite frequently as it was safer to drink than the water in most places, whether this would be large enough effect to cause a selection pressure for Europeans to have a higher alcohol tolerance or not I don't know, I'll have a look for some papers on it. Obviously this tolerance would then be passed onto Americans, Australians etc. who were descended from European colonists.

Vagn said:
If I remember correctly in Medieval Europe alcohol was consumed quite frequently as it was safer to drink than the water in most places,
It was the only safe drink in europe from the Romans to the start of 20C

whether this would be large enough effect to cause a selection pressure for Europeans to have a higher alcohol tolerance or not I don't know,
Dying has quite a strong selection pressure - lookup Alcohol dehydrogenase

I can provide some insights into the relationship between alcohol tolerance and evolution. It is true that alcohol tolerance varies among individuals and races, and this is likely due to genetic factors. However, it is important to note that alcohol itself is a relatively recent invention in human history. Before the development of agriculture and the ability to ferment grains and fruits, alcohol was not readily available in nature. This suggests that the capacity to tolerate alcohol may have evolved as a response to the increased consumption of alcohol in human societies.

One theory is that individuals who were less affected by alcohol were able to consume more and therefore had a higher chance of survival and reproduction. However, this may have also led to a vulnerability to the negative effects of alcohol, such as liver damage and addiction. It is also possible that the ability to tolerate alcohol was initially beneficial for its hydration properties, as you mentioned. Research has shown that moderate alcohol consumption can have health benefits, such as reducing the risk of heart disease.

The question of why alcohol tolerance is strongest in Europe and the Mediterranean is a complex one. Climate and trade relationships may have played a role, but there are likely many other factors at play. For example, cultural practices and lifestyles may have also contributed to the development and spread of alcohol tolerance in these regions.

In conclusion, alcohol tolerance is a complex trait that has likely been shaped by both genetic and environmental factors. Further research is needed to fully understand the evolution of alcohol tolerance and its implications for human health and behavior.

1. How does alcohol tolerance evolve in humans?

Alcohol tolerance in humans is believed to have evolved as a result of genetic variations and natural selection. This means that individuals with a higher tolerance for alcohol were more likely to survive and reproduce, passing on their genetic traits to their offspring.

2. Is there a specific gene responsible for alcohol tolerance?

There is no single gene responsible for alcohol tolerance. It is a complex trait that is influenced by multiple genetic and environmental factors. However, some studies have found a link between variations in the genes that regulate the metabolism of alcohol and alcohol tolerance.

3. Can alcohol tolerance change over time?

Yes, alcohol tolerance can change over time. Factors such as age, gender, body weight, and overall health can affect an individual's tolerance for alcohol. Additionally, repeated exposure to alcohol can also lead to an increase in tolerance.

4. How does alcohol tolerance differ among different populations?

Alcohol tolerance can vary among different populations due to genetic and environmental factors. For example, studies have shown that individuals of East Asian descent may have a genetic predisposition to lower tolerance for alcohol, while individuals of European descent may have a higher tolerance.

5. Is there a downside to having a high alcohol tolerance?

While having a high alcohol tolerance may seem advantageous, it can also lead to increased alcohol consumption and potential health risks. People with a high tolerance may not feel the effects of alcohol as strongly, leading them to drink more and potentially causing harm to their bodies. It is important to drink responsibly and in moderation, regardless of one's alcohol tolerance.