When is a matrix positive semi-definite?

In summary, The individual is working on a project and needs to determine a criterion for a symmetric matrix's elements to be positive semi-definite. They mention the possibility of using eigenvalues and ask for any ideas or suggestions. Another person responds that a matrix is positive semi-definite if all of its eigenvalues are non-negative and suggests looking at a certain resource. They also mention that the matrix should be Hermitian. Someone else adds that complex symmetric matrices can have varying meanings in different contexts and the signs of the real parts of the eigenvalues may be more important.
JK423
Gold Member
Hello people,

Im working on a project and this problem came up:

I have a symmetric matrix whose elements are complex variables, and i know that this matrix is positive semi-definite.
I have to derive a criterion for the matrix's elements, so that if it's satisfied by them then the matrix will be positive semi-definite.

Any idea on how to do that?
For example, a positive semi-definite matrix has to satisfy some relation that i can use?
Maybe its eigenvalues must be non-negative?

I'd really need your help, thanks a lot!

John

Physics news on Phys.org
HallsofIvy said:
Yes, a matrix is "positive semi-definite" if and only if all of its eigenvalues are non-negative. You might want to look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive-definite_matrix

You'll want the matrix to be Hermitian as well (or normal).

micromass said:
You'll want the matrix to be Hermitian as well (or normal).

Complex symmetric (not hermitian!) matrices do occur in modelling processes which don't conserve energy, but then the concept of "positive semidefinite" isn't very meaningful. Ths signs of the real parts of the eignenvalues is usually more interesting physically - i.e. does the energy of the system increase or decrease.

Hello John,

A matrix is positive semi-definite if all of its eigenvalues are non-negative. This means that if you can find a way to ensure that the eigenvalues of your matrix are non-negative, then you can conclude that the matrix is positive semi-definite. One way to do this is by using the Sylvester's criterion, which states that a Hermitian matrix (a matrix whose elements are complex variables and is equal to its own conjugate transpose) is positive semi-definite if and only if all of its principal minors (submatrices formed by taking the first k rows and columns) have non-negative determinants. In other words, if all the submatrices formed by taking the first 1, 2, 3, ..., n rows and columns have non-negative determinants, then the matrix is positive semi-definite. This can be a useful criterion to check for positive semi-definiteness of a matrix with complex elements. I hope this helps! Good luck with your project.

Best,

1. What is a positive semi-definite matrix?

A positive semi-definite matrix is a square matrix with non-negative eigenvalues. This means that all of the eigenvalues of the matrix are either positive or zero.

2. How do you determine if a matrix is positive semi-definite?

A matrix can be determined to be positive semi-definite by checking if all of its eigenvalues are positive or zero. This can be done by finding the eigenvalues of the matrix and then checking if they are all greater than or equal to zero.

3. What are some properties of positive semi-definite matrices?

Positive semi-definite matrices have several important properties, including being symmetric, having non-negative diagonal elements, and having non-negative determinants. They also have many applications in fields such as statistics and optimization.

4. Can a matrix be both positive semi-definite and positive definite?

Yes, a matrix can be both positive semi-definite and positive definite. A positive definite matrix is a special case of a positive semi-definite matrix, where all of the eigenvalues are strictly positive. So, any matrix that is positive definite is also positive semi-definite.

5. How can positive semi-definite matrices be used in practical applications?

Positive semi-definite matrices have various applications in fields such as machine learning, signal processing, and control systems. They can be used to represent covariance matrices, which are important in statistical analysis and machine learning algorithms. They are also used in optimization problems, where they can help to ensure that a solution is valid and stable.