Continuous and differentiable function

In summary: So yes, (f(x)+f(-x))/2 is continuous by sum rule (f(x)-f(-x))/2 is continuous as well. But they should be chosen continuous. Therefore, if f is continuous, then f1 and f2 can be chosen continuous. If f is differentiable, then f1 and f2 can be chosen differentiable.In summary, given a function f:R->R, it can be written as a sum f=f1+f2 where f1 is even and f2 is odd. It has been shown that if f is continuous, then f1 and f2 can be chosen continuous, and if f is differentiable, then f1 and f2 can be chosen differentiable.
frankpupu

Homework Statement

function f:R->R can be written as a sum f=f1+f2 where f1 is even and f2 is odd。show that if f is continuous then f1 and f2 may be chosen continuous, and if f is differentiable then f1 and f2 can be chosen differentiable

2. The attempt at a solution
i have try some examples, but i still cannot get the idea from that

Physics news on Phys.org
frankpupu said:

Homework Statement

function f:R->R can be written as a sum f=f1+f2 where f1 is even and f2 is odd。show that if f is continuous then f1 and f2 may be chosen continuous, and if f is differentiable then f1 and f2 can be chosen differentiable

2. The attempt at a solution
i have try some examples, but i still cannot get the idea from that

You should be able to find an expression for f1 and f2 given f. Think about f(x)+f(-x) and f(x)-f(-x).

Given function f, let [itex]f_e(x)= (f(x)+ f(-x))/2[/itex] and [itex]f_o(x)= (f(x)- f(-x))/2[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
Given function f, let [itex]f_e(x)= (f(x)+ f(-x))/2[/itex] and [itex]f_o(x)= (f(x)- f(-x))/2[/itex].

yes f(x)=((f(x)+f(−x))/2 )+(f(x)−f(−x))/2) then (f(x)+f(−x))/2 is even and (f(x)−f(−x))/2 is odd,then i don't know how to argue their continuity and differentiability?

frankpupu said:
yes f(x)=((f(x)+f(−x))/2 )+(f(x)−f(−x))/2) then (f(x)+f(−x))/2 is even and (f(x)−f(−x))/2 is odd,then i don't know how to argue their continuity and differentiability?

I don't think you have to prove it from scratch. If f(x) is continuous then f(-x) is continuous. What theorem about continuous functions might you use to prove that?

Dick said:
I don't think you have to prove it from scratch. If f(x) is continuous then f(-x) is continuous. What theorem about continuous functions might you use to prove that?

if f(x)is continuous then f(-x)is continuous ,(f(x)+f(-x))/2 is continuous by sum rule (f(x)-f(-x))/2 is continuous as well .but they should be chosen continuous

frankpupu said:
if f(x)is continuous then f(-x)is continuous ,(f(x)+f(-x))/2 is continuous by sum rule (f(x)-f(-x))/2 is continuous as well .but they should be chosen continuous

You are given f(x) is continuous. There is no need to show that. You do need to show f(-x) is also continuous. That's a composition rule. f(-x)=f(g(x)) where g(x)=(-x).

1. What is the difference between continuous and differentiable functions?

A continuous function is one that has no breaks or gaps in its graph, meaning that the values of the function change smoothly and continuously as the input changes. A differentiable function, on the other hand, is one that has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain, meaning that it has a well-defined slope or rate of change at every point.

2. How do you determine if a function is continuous?

A function is continuous if it has no breaks or gaps in its graph and if the limit of the function as the input approaches a particular point is equal to the value of the function at that point. In other words, the function must have a smooth and unbroken graph, and there should be no sudden jumps or discontinuities in its values.

3. What is the significance of differentiability in a function?

Differentiability is important because it allows us to calculate the rate of change of a function at any given point. This is useful in many real-world applications, such as calculating the velocity of an object or the growth rate of a population. It also allows us to find the maximum and minimum values of a function, which can be useful in optimization problems.

4. Can a function be continuous but not differentiable?

Yes, a function can be continuous but not differentiable. This means that the function has a smooth and unbroken graph, but it does not have a well-defined slope or rate of change at every point. This can happen, for example, when there is a sharp corner or cusp in the graph of the function.

5. How do you determine if a function is differentiable?

A function is differentiable if it has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain. To determine if a function is differentiable, you can use the definition of the derivative or check if the function satisfies the differentiability criteria, such as being continuous and having a well-defined limit at every point.