Persistence length: What are the beginning and end point in an polymer?

In summary: Well, persistence lengths will vary depending on the polymer, of course. I used to work with actin, and its persistence length is ~ 15 μm. As noted in that article, DNA has a much shorter persistence length (more than two orders of magnitude, in fact). An alternate way to look at persistence length is that it is the distance where a bend or twist at one point of the polymer does not affect a different point of the polymer. So, for example, if you bend a DNA strand at a point 5 μm from another point, you're not going to notice any correlation between the direction of their tangents, as the persistence length is only ~ 0.05 μm. But if
Juqon
Persistence length: What are the beginning and end points in an polymer?

Hello,

can you tell me where the starting point and the ending point of the (parts of the) persistence length in a polymer are?
I thought the persistence length was the greatest length that only just is not bent. This, however, cannot be as every part of the molecule down to the beginning is bent at least a little (maybe invisible). You would have to say, e.g.: "Every part of the molecule that is bent less than 3% belongs to the persistence length."

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Juqon said:
Hello,

can you tell me where the starting point and the ending point of the (parts of the) persistence length in a polymer are?
I thought the persistence length was the greatest length that only just is not bent. This, however, cannot be as every part of the molecule down to the beginning is bent at least a little (maybe invisible). You would have to say, e.g.: "Every part of the molecule that is bent less than 3% belongs to the persistence length."

I might be misunderstanding your question here, but you are not going to worry about the detailed molecular structure of the polymer, as that will inevitably not be perfectly linear in many cases. For example, when people discuss the the persistence length of DNA, they figure to treat the backbone and nucleotide as a tube. See this page discussing DNA elasticity for more detail.

I was already figuring the DNA as one tube.
In your article it says "the elastic cost of bending is totally negligible", but what is the limit for this negligence?

Juqon said:
I was already figuring the DNA as one tube.
In your article it says "the elastic cost of bending is totally negligible", but what is the limit for this negligence?

Well, persistence lengths will vary depending on the polymer, of course. I used to work with actin, and its persistence length is ~ 15 μm. As noted in that article, DNA has a much shorter persistence length (more than two orders of magnitude, in fact).

An alternate way to look at persistence length is that it is the distance where a bend or twist at one point of the polymer does not affect a different point of the polymer. So, for example, if you bend a DNA strand at a point 5 μm from another point, you're not going to notice any correlation between the direction of their tangents, as the persistence length is only ~ 0.05 μm. But if you did that with an actin strand, you would definitely notice the correlation.

1. What is a persistence length in polymer science?

A persistence length is a measure of the length scale over which a polymer chain maintains its direction. It is a characteristic length that represents the stiffness of a polymer chain.

2. How is the persistence length determined in a polymer?

The persistence length of a polymer can be determined experimentally through techniques such as light scattering, atomic force microscopy, or rheology. These methods involve measuring the bending or relaxation of the polymer chain and using mathematical models to calculate the persistence length.

3. What is the significance of the persistence length in polymer physics?

The persistence length is an important parameter in understanding the behavior of polymers. It can affect the conformation, elasticity, and mechanical properties of a polymer chain. It is also used in predicting the behavior of polymers in various environments, such as in solutions or at interfaces.

4. What are the beginning and end points in a polymer chain?

The beginning and end points in a polymer chain refer to the two ends of the molecule. These points are not fixed and can move and rotate, giving the polymer chain its flexibility. In a linear polymer, the beginning and end points are the two terminal monomer units. In a branched polymer, there may be multiple beginning and end points.

5. How does the persistence length affect the physical properties of a polymer?

The persistence length directly affects the flexibility of a polymer chain. A longer persistence length results in a stiffer polymer chain, while a shorter persistence length allows for greater flexibility. This can impact properties such as the polymer's ability to stretch, bend, or coil, as well as its overall strength and elasticity.