Register to reply

How do bar code scanners read a bar code from a cell phone screen?

by mrspeedybob
Tags: cell, code, phone, scanners, screen
Share this thread:
mrspeedybob
Jan1-14, 09:59 AM
P: 693
A quick google search found that there are 2 kinds of bar code scanners. One uses ambient light and a CCD device, these obviously would have no problem with a bar code on a screen since it is essentially just taking a picture.

The other kind sweeps a laser over the bar code and reads the reflection. From what I have read these scanners are more particular about the angle and distance to the screen when reading a bar code from a cell phone screen, but I can't figure out how it could read the screen at all. The image I see on a cell phone screen is made by the screen emitting light, not reflecting it. The light reflected from any given spot on the screen is, as far as I know, unaffected by what is displayed on the screen (a problem clearly demonstrated every time you have to tilt your screen to avoid glare from a bright light). Since the laser type scanner relies on reflected light, how is it able to "see" what is on the screen?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Student develops filter for clean water around the world
Developing the next evolution in underwater communication
dschlink
Jan1-14, 11:44 AM
P: 13
Even though the surface of a the screen on a cellphone can reflect a fair amount of light, a LCD works by blocking the backlight. This produces more than enough contrast for the high intensity beam of a laser scanner to read by reflection.

Register to reply