Kaluza-Klein Theory: Exploring Its Merits & Drawbacks

In summary, Kaluza-Klein theory is a unification of electromagnetism and gravity that has been subsumed into more sophisticated theories. It has been met with criticism for a number of reasons, including its inability to be quantized and its lack of applicability to some phenomena. There is some evidence that the theory was originally proposed to explain the existence of a radion field, but this has not yet been confirmed.
El Hombre Invisible
I'd never heard of Kaluza-Klein theory before today, and from what I've read I think that's rather odd. Taking it from a purely non-quantum, relativistic unification of gravity and electromagnetism, what's wrong with it? I know it has been subsumed into other, more sophisticated theories, but on its own merits, does it work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks robphy. I'll be getting into the ins and outs of Maxwell's equations next year, and of GR... sometime before I have kids, so I'm not too optimistic about actual understanding K-K theory. I was more interested in why, if both EM and GR are derivable from it, it is not covered more in textbooks, or pop sci books come to that.

Everywhere I see a problem with K-K theory it seems to concern either quantization, particle physics or nuclear forces. Those things aside, I'm wondering if there's any historical reason why what appears to be an extention of GR to cover EM in which Maxwell's equations emerge is any less prominent than GR itself. As the advert says, why take two bottles into the shower when you can take one?

I guess this is more of a science history question.

I *think* the situation is that KK theory predicts an unobserved scalar field. But I'm not terribly sure I've got this right, so take this with a grain of salt.

pervect said:
I *think* the situation is that KK theory predicts an unobserved scalar field. But I'm not terribly sure I've got this right, so take this with a grain of salt.
This is the radion field, right? Isn't this predicted in certain QFTs though? If the radion field was originally predicted by KK theory (which, so far as I can tell, it was), would not a success in these theories (the discovery of the radion particle) prove an equal success for KK theory?? Or are the two fields dissimilar in the two theories?

I know Einstein disproved Weyl's similar unified field theory (in which Einstein's and Maxwell's equations were also derived in a 5D spacetime) and Weyl believed his own work to be superseded by Schrodinger's, but I cannot find any similar disproof of KK theory, or anything that would suggest it suffered from the same problems. The amount of literature outlining the theory, its history and its problems in the net is very slim.

I don't know. What I'm basing my statement on is remarks like
With this assumption, each was successful in obtaining the field equations
of both electromagnetism and gravity from a single five-dimensional theory.
Nordstr¨om, working as he was before general relativity, assumed a scalar
gravitational potential; while Kaluza used Einstein’s tensor potential. Specif-
ically, Kaluza demonstrated that general relativity, when interpreted as a
five-dimensional theory in vacuum ... contained four-dimensional general relativity in the presence of an electromagnetic field ...
together with Maxwell’s laws of electromagnetism.

There was also a Klein-Gordon equation for a massless scalar field, but this was not appreciated and was in fact suppressed — by Kaluza at the time.)
from http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9805018
Unfortnately my understanding of Kaluza-Klein theory remains rather sketchy.

pervect said:
I don't know. What I'm basing my statement on is remarks like
from http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9805018
Unfortnately my understanding of Kaluza-Klein theory remains rather sketchy.
Yes, this is the radion, I think. This seems to pop up in several other theories and seems to be something we're still hunting down.

1. What is Kaluza-Klein Theory?

Kaluza-Klein Theory is a unified field theory proposed by Theodor Kaluza and Oskar Klein in the 1920s that attempts to explain the fundamental forces of nature by unifying Einstein's theory of general relativity with Maxwell's theory of electromagnetism.

2. What are the main merits of Kaluza-Klein Theory?

One of the main merits of Kaluza-Klein Theory is its ability to unify gravity with electromagnetism, which were previously seen as separate forces. It also provides a geometric interpretation of electromagnetism and introduces the concept of extra dimensions.

3. What are the drawbacks of Kaluza-Klein Theory?

One of the major drawbacks of Kaluza-Klein Theory is that it does not fully explain the other fundamental forces, such as the strong and weak nuclear forces. It also requires the existence of extra dimensions, which have not been experimentally proven.

4. How has Kaluza-Klein Theory been tested?

Kaluza-Klein Theory has been tested through experiments and observations in the field of particle physics. Some predictions of the theory, such as the existence of spin-2 particles, have been confirmed by experiments. However, the theory as a whole has not been proven and is still considered a theoretical concept.

5. Is Kaluza-Klein Theory widely accepted in the scientific community?

While Kaluza-Klein Theory has gained some support in the scientific community, it is not widely accepted as a complete explanation of the fundamental forces of nature. Many scientists continue to explore and develop other theories, such as string theory, to fully explain the complexities of the universe.