Exploring Freedom of Speech: My Temporary Bans for Criticism

• Thread starter eljose
  • Start date
In summary, you have been banned from the forum twice for criticizing your teachers and journal referees. You also commented on Zidane, saying he wasn't French because his parents were from Algeria, which apparently violated the forum posting guidelines. You think these violations do not violate the posting guidelines, but think that freedom of speech does not really exist in a privately-owned domain. You think the higher standards in this forum are indicative of how the mods are treating you.
eljose
I would like to discuss the "Freedom of Speech"..in this forum, my problem is that i have ben banned (temporarly) twice:

a) Because i critizied my teachers and journal referees..

b) Because critizying "Zidane" saying he wasn't French because his parents were from Algeria.

Then where's freedom of speech?...if you are American (forum supporters and webmasters) how can you make critics about your country but don,t let people at the forum express their ideas and complaints?...

Physics news on Phys.org
eljose said:
i would say f...k France and the "gabachos"

eljose said:
it made me happy the Italian victory and the arrogant and Chauvinist French football team being defeated... (although we should say the "moor" team, the majority of french football player are "muslims")

You don't think either of these violates the posting guidelines in any way?

There's no such thing as "freedom of speech" in a PRIVATELY-OWNED domain! You have no right to come into my home, for example, and spew everything that you wish. I have the right to tell you to shut up or get out. You have the right to do that on public property, but not in a private property.

So before you start whinning about "freedom of speech", figure out if you want me to go into your home and say everything that I wish without regard to you or your family.

Zz.

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

link

We aren't the US Congress, homie. We have the right to restrict what you say in any way we please, just so long as you're saying it on our server.

eljose said:
I would like to discuss the "Freedom of Speech"..in this forum, my problem is that i have ben banned (temporarly) twice:

a) Because i critizied my teachers and journal referees..

b) Because critizying "Zidane" saying he wasn't French because his parents were from Algeria.Then where's freedom of speech?...if you are American (forum supporters and webmasters) how can you make critics about your country but don,t let people at the forum express their ideas and complaints?...

I believe nobody in this forum wishes to read your critics. You are free to speak, but speak smart. If you think your teachers are bad, change them, or change your attitude. Zidane is French just because he was born in France, or at least Algerian-French, if speaking. Really, please don't gossip about other people in a bad manner because you won't see in them anymore than you have in yourself. When you have positive attitude, then everyone arounds you turns good, or you'll have a reason for their ungoodness. :wink:

eljose said:
Then where's freedom of speech?

Out in public.

eljose said:
b) Because critizying "Zidane" saying he wasn't French because his parents were from Algeria.

:rolleyes:

C'mon man, what possible good could come from comments like this ? How is this even remotely connected to soccer ?

If you want to be taken seriously and you don't want to loose your integrety or credibility with respect to others, don't say stuff like this.

marlon

Some places have higher standards than others, if you think this place is tough, you have no idea, really, some places you'd get banned for thinking about posting a raccist or inflamatory remark, well not quite but it's close. I can honestly say I've never been banned from this forum, surprising as I regularly get banned from other forums I write on(I'm not proud of this though :smile:) That should be an indication that the mods aren't exactly being unreasonable in the cases of your comments, I think the mods are generally quite liberal IMO? And so raccism and or inflamatory comments don't go over too well I'd imagine, although it's not exactly PC central here.

1. What is freedom of speech?

Freedom of speech is the right to express one's opinions and ideas without fear of censorship or retaliation from the government or other individuals. It is protected under the First Amendment of the United States Constitution.

2. What is considered criticism under the concept of freedom of speech?

Criticism is the act of expressing disapproval or negative feedback towards a person, organization, or idea. It can take many forms, such as written or spoken words, and can range from mild to severe.

3. Can I be banned for criticizing someone or something?

It depends on the situation. While freedom of speech is a fundamental right, there are limitations to it. For example, if your criticism includes hate speech or threats, it may be considered illegal and result in consequences such as a ban.

4. Why do platforms like social media have the power to ban users for their speech?

Social media platforms are private companies and have their own rules and regulations. They also have a responsibility to create a safe and inclusive environment for their users. If a user's speech violates the platform's terms of service, they may be banned to protect the overall community.

5. What should I do if I feel my freedom of speech is being restricted?

If you believe your freedom of speech is being unfairly restricted, you can seek legal advice or take action through peaceful and lawful means. It is important to understand the laws and regulations in your country or state regarding freedom of speech and seek appropriate avenues for addressing any concerns.