Destructive interference in wavelengths question

In summary, the minimum nonzero thickness of the nonreflective coating on the camera lens is 341.13 nm, as determined by using the formula 2t + 1 wavelength in film = (1/2) wavelength in film and accounting for the 2 1/2 wave shifts.
StudentofPhysics
1. A nonreflective coating (n = 1.24) covers the glass (n = 1.52) of a camera lens. Assuming that the coating prevents reflection of yellow-green light (wavelength in vacuum = 564 nm), determine the minimum nonzero thickness that the coating can have.

2. wavelength of the light in the coating = wavelngth of light / n of coating

desructive interference: 2t = (1,2...) wavelngth coating
t=thickness

3. OK the wavelngth of the light through the coating is: 564/1.24 = 454.84

I figured maybe that was all i needed and attempted to find t.

2t=1(454.84)
t= 227.42

this was not correct, so I next proceded to find the wavelength once through the film to the glass:

454.84/1.52 = 299.24 nm

The destructive interference for this is:

2t = (1) 299.24
t= 149.62 nm

This too was incorrect.

I even tried plugging in the original wavelength of 564 nm with the n of glass; 1.52, then solving for t. This gave me:

564/1.52 = 371.05
2t= (1) 371.05
t= 185.53

None of these were correct.

Any thoughts on where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I've made some progress:

Since there are 2 1/2 wave shifts then the equation should be:

2t + 1 wavelength in film = (1/2) wavelength in film

this gave me an answer of 341.13 nm for t and is still incorrect though.

Ok nevermind I finally figured it out. I was adding the wave shift across the sides of the formula rather than subtracting it like I should have.

Thanks to those who considered it for me though. :smile:

1. What is destructive interference?

Destructive interference occurs when two waves with equal frequency and amplitude meet and their amplitudes cancel each other out, resulting in a decrease in overall amplitude at that point.

2. How does destructive interference affect wavelengths?

Destructive interference can cause the wavelengths of the two waves to cancel out, resulting in a wavelength that is smaller than either of the individual waves. This is known as a node, or point of complete destructive interference.

3. Can destructive interference only occur with two waves?

No, destructive interference can occur with any number of waves. As long as the waves have equal frequency and amplitude and meet at the same point, they can interfere and result in destructive interference.

4. How does the distance between the waves affect destructive interference?

The distance between the waves can greatly affect the level of destructive interference. The closer the waves are, the more likely they are to completely cancel each other out. As the distance increases, the level of destructive interference decreases.

5. How is destructive interference different from constructive interference?

Unlike destructive interference, constructive interference occurs when two waves with equal frequency and amplitude meet and their amplitudes combine, resulting in a larger overall amplitude at that point. This is known as an antinode, or point of complete constructive interference.