How to calc human bicycle power in watts

In summary, to calculate Lance Armstrong's power output/calorie consumption at 30 mph, 125 miles on level ground with no wind, you will need to consider the resistive forces that need to be overcome by the cyclist. It is important to note that in an ideal world, there would be no energy used, but in reality, factors such as friction and wind resistance play a role. Additionally, it is worth noting that Lance Armstrong's weight may also affect the calculation.
Dyllon

Homework Statement

How to calculate Lance Armstrongs power output/calorie consumption at 30 mph, 125 miles on level ground , no wind, 157 lbs plus 16lb bike?

Homework Equations

What equations do I use?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm 14 years old, where do I start

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there's enough information given to do the calculation. The energy used will be a function of the resistive forces that have to be overcome by the cyclist. In an ideal world, traveling at constant speed on a flat track uses no energy, but in reality there's friction and wind resistance and other things also.

Doesn't Lance Armstrong weigh more that 157 lbs ?

?

I would first gather all the necessary information needed for the calculation. This includes Lance Armstrong's weight (157 lbs), the weight of his bike (16 lbs), the distance he rode (125 miles), and the speed at which he rode (30 mph).

The next step would be to convert all the units to the appropriate metric system. Lance's weight would need to be converted to kilograms (157 lbs = 71.21 kg) and the distance to meters (125 miles = 201168 meters).

To calculate power output in watts, we can use the equation P = F x v, where P is power, F is force, and v is velocity. However, since we don't have information on the force exerted by Lance, we can use the equation P = m x a x v, where m is mass, a is acceleration (which is 0 since we are assuming level ground), and v is velocity.

First, we need to calculate the total mass of Lance and his bike. This would be 157 lbs + 16 lbs = 173 lbs = 78.47 kg.

Next, we can plug in the values into the equation P = m x a x v. This would give us P = 78.47 kg x 0 x 30 mph = 0 watts.

Since the power output is 0, we can assume that Lance did not use any additional energy to maintain his speed of 30 mph on level ground with no wind.

To calculate calorie consumption, we can use the following equation: Calories = (P x t)/4.184, where P is power in watts and t is time in seconds.

Since we already know that P = 0, the calorie consumption would also be 0. This means that Lance did not burn any additional calories during his ride.

In conclusion, the power output and calorie consumption for Lance Armstrong's 125-mile ride at 30 mph on level ground with no wind would be 0 watts and 0 calories, respectively. However, it is important to note that this is a simplified calculation and does not take into account factors such as efficiency, terrain, and muscle fatigue.

Q: What is the formula for calculating human bicycle power in watts?

The formula for calculating human bicycle power in watts is: Power (watts) = Force (Newtons) x Speed (meters/second).

Q: How do I measure the force generated while cycling?

The force generated while cycling can be measured by using a force sensor or a power meter on the bicycle. These devices can accurately measure the amount of force applied to the pedals.

Q: What should be considered when calculating human bicycle power?

When calculating human bicycle power, factors such as the weight of the cyclist, the grade of the road, wind resistance, and the type of bicycle being used should be taken into consideration.

Q: Is there a standard unit of measurement for human bicycle power?

Yes, watts is the standard unit of measurement for human bicycle power. This unit is used to measure the rate at which work is done or energy is expended.

Q: Can human bicycle power be improved?

Yes, human bicycle power can be improved through training and proper technique. Increasing muscle strength and efficiency can also lead to an increase in power output while cycling.