Minimum escape velocity of a projectile required to rise a certain height

In summary: Well it wasn't that hard to figure it out after that, divide by half, divide by m and take the square root, lol.
JFonseka

Homework Statement

A projectile is launched from the surface of a planet (mass = M, radius = R). What minimum launch speed is required if the projectile is to rise to a height of 2R above the surface of the planet? Disregard any dissipative effects of the atmosphere.

Homework Equations

v = [tex]\sqrt{2GM/R}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So we know that for a projectile to rise to a height of R above the planet, the equation above will suffice, however the projectile in this question has to rise to a height of 2R, that is R + 2R, so 3R. I thought you simply replace R by 3R, to get v = [tex]\sqrt{2GM/3R}[/tex]

But that's not the case, the multiple choices does not have that as one of the answers. The answers listed were...

a) [tex]\sqrt{\frac{4GM}{3R}}[/tex]
b) [tex]\sqrt{\frac{8GM}{5R}}[/tex]
c) [tex]\sqrt{\frac{3GM}{2R}}[/tex]
d) [tex]\sqrt{\frac{5GM}{3R}}[/tex]
e) [tex]\sqrt{\frac{GM}{3R}}[/tex]

I think the most sensible looks to be GM/3R but I'm probably wrong, how should I go about doing this problem?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Potential energy is = GMm/R
Kinetic Energy = 1/2 m v^2
Where R is distance form centre of planet with mass M and m is the mass of the object.
You are going from R=r to R=3r so change in potential energy is
PE = GMm/r - GMm/3r = 2GMm/3r

Set this equal to KE, cancel m and solve for v

e would be the energy to maintain an orbit at 3R.

Ep = -GMm/r

[tex]\Delta[/tex]Ep = Epf - Epi
Epf = -GMm/3r
Epi = -GMm/r

-GMm/3r - -GMm/r = [tex]\Delta[/tex]Ep
-GMm/3r + GMm/r = [tex]\Delta[/tex]Ep
-GMm/3r + 3GMm/3r = [tex]\Delta[/tex]Ep
2GMm/3r = [tex]\Delta[/tex]Ep

2GMm/3r = mv2
- Is the condition for escaping Earth's gravity.

Edit:
2GMm/3r = (1/2)mv2
4GM/3r = v2
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{4GM}{3r}}[/tex]

I forgot the 1/2, lol.

Just for the record, second poster made two big mistakes. You don't subtract initial from final to get delta. AND, the formula contains a negative sign.

Last edited:
BlackWyvern said:
e would be the energy to maintain an orbit at 3R.

Ep = -GMm/r

[tex]\Delta[/tex]Ep = Epf - Epi
Epf = -GMm/3r
Epi = -GMm/r

-GMm/3r - -GMm/r = [tex]\Delta[/tex]Ep
-GMm/3r + GMm/r = [tex]\Delta[/tex]Ep
-GMm/3r + 3GMm/3r = [tex]\Delta[/tex]Ep
2GMm/3r = [tex]\Delta[/tex]Ep

2GMm/3r = mv2
- Is the condition for escaping Earth's gravity.

If we solve that, we see that the simple solution seems to be correct.
So someone is wrong. <_<
I see no flaw in my logic, I don't see their logic. So I feel that the answers you are given are incorrect.

Nope, they are quiz answers, and it would have been pointed out by now by some other student or the lecturer if the answers were wrong, the correct answers was the 4GM/3R

When in fact we use the 2nd poster's method it turns out to be right.

JFonseka said:
When in fact we use the 2nd poster's method it turns out to be right.
I did check the answer but it would have taken all the fun out of it to tell you!

mgb_phys said:
I did check the answer but it would have taken all the fun out of it to tell you!

Well it wasn't that hard to figure it out after that, divide by half, divide by m and take the square root, lol

1. What is the minimum escape velocity required for a projectile to reach a certain height?

The minimum escape velocity required for a projectile to reach a certain height is the speed at which the projectile must be launched so that it can overcome the gravitational pull of the Earth and reach a certain altitude without falling back down.

2. How is the minimum escape velocity calculated?

The minimum escape velocity can be calculated using the formula v = √(2GM/R), where v is the escape velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and R is the distance from the center of the Earth to the projectile's starting point.

3. Does the minimum escape velocity vary for different heights?

Yes, the minimum escape velocity required to reach a certain height will vary depending on the altitude at which the projectile is launched. This is because the gravitational pull of the Earth decreases as the distance from its center increases.

4. What factors affect the minimum escape velocity of a projectile?

The minimum escape velocity of a projectile is affected by the mass of the Earth, the distance from the center of the Earth, and the mass of the projectile itself. Other factors that can affect the escape velocity include air resistance and the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies.

5. Can the minimum escape velocity be exceeded?

Yes, the minimum escape velocity is the minimum speed required for a projectile to reach a certain height. However, the projectile can be launched at a higher velocity, which will result in it reaching a higher altitude than the intended height.