Understanding How to Access an Object's Property in Ruby

In summary, to print the run number obtained from the initiation, you can use the instance variable @run_number inside the property method by writing "def property(arg) if arg == :run_number @run_number end end". This approach offers an alternative to using the attr_reader method.
mellifluidic
I'm learning how to program with Ruby and would like some brains to pick.

Here's the context:

class Run_Record
def initialize
@run_number=gets
@time=gets
##in the future this will be more complicated
end
def property(arg)
#?
end
end

new_run=Run_Record.new
p new_run.property(:run_number)

What do I write in #? to get the last line to print the run number it gets from the initiation? It seems like there should be a simple way to do this, something that would work kind of like #{arg} inside of strings. I realize that I can accomplish the ultimate task by using the attr_reader method, but I'm curious about whether one could approach the problem this way.

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
You can use the instance variable @run_number to accomplish this. Inside the property method, you would write:def property(arg) if arg == :run_number @run_number endend

I would suggest using the attr_reader method to access the run_number property in this case. This method is specifically designed for accessing an object's property in Ruby and is considered a best practice. It simplifies the code and makes it more readable. However, if you want to use the #? method, you could write the following code:

def property(arg)
if arg == :run_number
return @run_number
elsif arg == :time
return @Time
else
return "Invalid property"
end
end

This method checks the argument passed in and returns the corresponding instance variable. However, this approach is not recommended as it requires more code and is less efficient. It is always better to use built-in methods like attr_reader to access an object's properties in Ruby.

1. How do you access an object's property in Ruby?

To access an object's property in Ruby, you can use the dot notation or square brackets notation. For example, if the object is called "person" and has a property called "name", you can access it by typing "person.name" or "person['name']".

2. Can you access nested properties in Ruby?

Yes, you can access nested properties in Ruby by using multiple dot or square brackets notation. For example, if the object has a property called "address" and "city" nested within it, you can access it by typing "person.address.city" or "person['address']['city']".

3. What if the object's property has a space in its name?

If the object's property has a space in its name, you can still access it using square brackets notation. For example, if the property is called "first name", you can access it by typing "person['first name']".

4. How do you check if an object has a specific property in Ruby?

You can check if an object has a specific property by using the "respond_to?" method. This method takes in the property name as an argument and returns a boolean value indicating if the property exists in the object.

5. Can you access an object's property dynamically in Ruby?

Yes, you can access an object's property dynamically in Ruby by using the "send" method. This method takes in the property name as a symbol and returns the value of that property. For example, if the property is called "age", you can access it by typing "person.send(:age)".