Is my textbook wrong (acceleration problem)

• Thread starter nissan4l0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbook
In summary, the textbook University Physics 12th ed claims that the sign of x-acceleration does not tell you whether a body is speeding up or slowing down. It claims that the body is speeding up only when the velocity and acceleration have the same sign. Likewise, it claims that a body is slowing down only when the velocity and acceleration differ in signs.
nissan4l0
My textbook, University Physics 12th ed, claims that the sign of x-acceleration does not tell you whether a body is speeding up or slowing down. It claims that the body is speeding up only when the velocity and acceleration have the same sign. Likewise, it claims that a body is slowing down only when the velocity and acceleration differ in signs.

I tried to prove this to myself and found an inconsistency.

v0x = -10 m/s
v1x = 5 m/s

Here, the magnitude of the velocity (speed) is decreasing. The velocity vector itself is positive, since it is going from the negative x-axis to the positive x axis.

So we have a decreasing speed and a positive velocity.

Ok, so what about the acceleration?

I have ax= lim ((5 - (-10)) / [tex]\Delta[/tex]t which is a positive quantity.

So we have a positive acceleration.

According to my book a positive sign on the velocity and a positive sign on the acceleration produce an increase in speed. Am I analyzing this in the wrong manner?(sorry for the poor formatting, I'll improve with time)

Physics news on Phys.org
nissan4l0 said:
Here, the magnitude of the velocity (speed) is decreasing. The velocity vector itself is positive, since it is going from the negative x-axis to the positive x axis.
You don't know where the object is on the x axis, you only know its velocity.

The acceleration is positive as you say, so at time 0, when the object was moving in the negative direction, the object was slowing down. At time 1 when the object was moving in the positive direction the object was speeding up.

In other words, the object, originally moving in the negative direction, slowed down, came to a stop, and then sped up in the positive direction.

nissan4l0 said:
My textbook, University Physics 12th ed, claims that the sign of x-acceleration does not tell you whether a body is speeding up or slowing down. It claims that the body is speeding up only when the velocity and acceleration have the same sign. Likewise, it claims that a body is slowing down only when the velocity and acceleration differ in signs.

I tried to prove this to myself and found an inconsistency.

v0x = -10 m/s
v1x = 5 m/s

So we have a decreasing speed and a positive velocity.
Do you mean positive acceleration?
Initially the object was going to the left (x decreasing, negative velocity) finally, it was going to the right (x increasing, positive velocity)

[quoote]Ok, so what about the acceleration?

I have ax= lim ((5 - (-10)) / [tex]\Delta[/tex]t which is a positive quantity.

So we have a positive acceleration.

According to my book a positive sign on the velocity and a positive sign on the acceleration produce an increase in speed. Am I analyzing this in the wrong manner?

(sorry for the poor formatting, I'll improve with time)[/QUOTE]
You statement that velocity is positive is wrong. The velocity is negative for part of the motion, positive for part.

Ok, thanks guys it all makes sense to me now that I read and understood your postings. I appreciate it!

What is acceleration and how is it measured?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is measured in terms of meters per second squared (m/s^2).

What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in an object's velocity over time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time.

How can I tell if my textbook is wrong about acceleration?

You can check your textbook's calculations and equations to see if they align with the accepted principles and formulas for acceleration. You can also consult other reputable sources for comparison.

What could be the consequences of incorrect information about acceleration in a textbook?

Incorrect information about acceleration can lead to incorrect understanding and application of concepts in physics and related fields. It can also affect the accuracy and reliability of scientific experiments and results.

What should I do if I believe my textbook is wrong about acceleration?

If you have reason to believe your textbook is incorrect about acceleration, you can consult with your teacher or a trusted expert in the field to discuss your concerns. You can also conduct your own research and gather evidence to support your claim.