What happenned to the tachyon thread?

• Thread starter JustinLevy
  • Start date
In summary, the banned member created a number of aliases and then repeatedly asked questions in a thread that had been deleted. Because the questions had already been answered, the thread was deleted. However, the posts themselves are still available if you need them.
JustinLevy
There was a recent thread started by a vistor asking about time and tachyons. I've seen threads locked or moved before, but this one is completely gone, and I can't even find posts I made in it. A high school friend is asking me similar questions via email and I wanted to quote some of the responses from there.

I agree that thread was going no where since one poster just kept asking the openning question again and again. But please don't delete threads. There was also input from several people on virtual particles. I'd like to have access to these posts.

Anyway, one question that came up in that thread which I am still curious about is:

Since tachyons violate causality, would this force everything to always be at equilibrium?

(ie. interactions cause entropy to increase (2nd law of thermo dynamics) but if interactions can go back in time, then since entropy can't increase in both directions, it would just be constant? ... so tachyons interacting with matter = heat death of universe at all times?).

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure which "tachyon thread" you are referring to. The one that I noticed that was deleted recently was started by a previously-banned member. That's why it was deleted, I think. In any case, if you need a particular content of this deleted thread, I can PM it to you.

Zz.

I agree that it's pretty annoying when a whole thread gets deleted. It can be really annoying when you have spent hours writing some good stuff in it. I've been saying this before (e.g. here), but none of the replies agreed with me. In this case, it's only a little bit annoying that the thread got deleted, because I didn't work too hard on my posts there, but there was at least one post that I wrote in there that I would have wanted to be able to link to in future discussions about tachyons.

ZZ, can you PM me the posts where I talked about the possible loophole in the standard argument against the existence of tachyons? (The loophole has to do with the time it takes to emit/detect a tachyon).

Fredrik said:
I agree that it's pretty annoying when a whole thread gets deleted. It can be really annoying when you have spent hours writing some good stuff in it.

If every thread by this guy is kept, there would be more than 20 threads on the same topic, asking exactly the same question.

cristo said:
If every thread by this guy is kept, there would be more than 20 threads on the same topic, asking exactly the same question.
LOL, yes, he was pretty annoying. He kept repeating the same questions over and over in that thread, even the ones that had been answered. But I think it's better to merge the threads than to delete them.

JustinLevy said:
But please don't delete threads. There was also input from several people on virtual particles. I'd like to have access to these posts.
Fredrik said:
I agree that it's pretty annoying when a whole thread gets deleted. It can be really annoying when you have spent hours writing some good stuff in it. I've been saying this before (e.g. here), but none of the replies agreed with me.
Fredrik said:
But I think it's better to merge the threads than to delete them.

I agree :smile: … I don't see the harm in leaving such threads …

it's useful for members to be able to see how to deal with bad arguments …

and it prevents crackpots from thinking "nobody's raised this before (recently)" …

and the fact that it's locked will show that a thread has something wrong with it.
ZZ, can you PM me the posts where I talked about the possible loophole in the standard argument against the existence of tachyons? (The loophole has to do with the time it takes to emit/detect a tachyon).

i still have copies of all the posts (except mine) in my email trash file … do you still want this? :smile:

The banned member is a persona non grata, and has created numerous (and I mean, numerous) aliases on PF. I think that now, it is a standard policy that any and all thread created by subsequent aliases of this person be summarily deleted. You will note that we don't do this very often, and in fact, this is the only one that we are taking this type of action on. So we didn't decide on this very lightly.

We can still rescue your posts if you need it. However, unless there are some compelling reasons to resurrect it, the thread will remain deleted. This also applies to any future threads that we eventually discover that are created by this person.

Zz.

If you're really that interested in saving some of your lengthier posts in any thread (whether they are deleted or not) it might be best to set up a file on your computer where you can keep a copy in word or any other program of your choice. It is always good practise to back up ones work.

tiny-tim said:

i still have copies of all the posts (except mine) in my email trash file … do you still want this? :smile:
Thanks, but ZZ has already sent me the ones I wanted in a PM. :tongue2:

What happened to the tachyon thread?

The tachyon thread is a hypothetical concept and does not currently exist in reality. Therefore, nothing has happened to it.

Is the tachyon thread real?

No, the tachyon thread is a theoretical concept and has not been proven to exist in reality.

What is the purpose of the tachyon thread?

The tachyon thread is a concept used in theoretical physics to explore the possibility of particles that can travel faster than the speed of light.

Can the tachyon thread be used for time travel?

Time travel is a highly debated and unproven concept. The existence and potential use of the tachyon thread for time travel is purely speculative and not supported by scientific evidence.

Are there any experiments being conducted to test the existence of the tachyon thread?

There have been experiments conducted to test the existence of particles that travel faster than light, but none have been successful in proving the existence of the tachyon thread. However, research and experimentation in this area of physics is ongoing.