Understanding BJT Emitter Resistance: Explained by Horowitz & Hill

In summary, the intrinsic emitter resistance (re) is the dynamic resistance of the base-emitter diode and is often placed in series with the emitter in circuit analysis. However, in emitter follower circuits, the low re allows for a low output resistance, so the resistors from emitter to ground are labeled as re by convention. The output impedance of an emitter follower is typically Re in parallel with (beta+1) times the base circuit impedance, and it is important to have a pull-down resistor on the emitter output to prevent the output potential from floating up to the base potential.
garibaldi
Hey everyone,

Im currently reading Horowitz & Hill and am a little confused on the topic of the intrinsic emitter resistance (re). I understand that this resistance is essentially the dynamic resistance of the base-emitter diode.

I assumed that when analyzing a circuit this resistance should always be placed in series with the emitter. However H&H seem to place this resistance from the emitter to ground in the emitter followers they demonstrate.

In the case of the emitter follower circuit this makes sense because the low re means that the circuit will have a low output resistance as expected. I just don't understand why they placed it to ground.

The circuits in question are attached.

Attachments

• re circuits.JPG
    re circuits.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 695
Engineering news on Phys.org
What makes you think that the resistors from emitter to ground shown in the images are re, the intrinsic emitter resistance? They aren't labeled re.

I think you mean r'e or pronounced 'R prime E' or 'R E prime'. Summarized, R'e is the AC impedance of the base emitter junction. Normally the output imedance of an emitter follower is Re (actual resistor from emitter to ground) in parallel with [(beta*the base circuit impedance) + r'e].

You say:

"Normally the output imedance of an emitter follower is Re (actual resistor from emitter to ground) in parallel with [(beta*the base circuit impedance) + r'e]."

Shouldn't the "(beta*the base circuit impedance)" expression be something more like "(the base circuit impedance/beta)"? Actually, I think the "beta" should be "beta+1".

The Electrician said:
You say:

"Normally the output imedance of an emitter follower is Re (actual resistor from emitter to ground) in parallel with [(beta*the base circuit impedance) + r'e]."

Shouldn't the "(beta*the base circuit impedance)" expression be something more like "(the base circuit impedance/beta)"? Actually, I think the "beta" should be "beta+1".

Yes, my bad.

It is usually a good idea to have a pull-down resistor on the emitter output to keep the output potential from floating up to the base potential when the external load is not connected. It is absolutely necessary if the external load does not have a dc path to ground.

1. What is BJT emitter resistance?

BJT emitter resistance is the resistance seen between the emitter and base terminals of a bipolar junction transistor (BJT). It is a measure of the resistance that the emitter presents to the input current flowing into the base and affects the gain and stability of the transistor.

2. How is BJT emitter resistance calculated?

BJT emitter resistance can be calculated by dividing the change in emitter voltage by the change in emitter current at a given operating point. It can also be estimated by measuring the slope of the current-voltage curve at the emitter terminal.

3. Why is understanding BJT emitter resistance important?

Understanding BJT emitter resistance is important because it affects the overall performance of the transistor. It can impact the gain, stability, and linearity of the circuit, and can also cause thermal instability if not properly considered.

4. How does BJT emitter resistance affect amplifier design?

BJT emitter resistance plays a crucial role in amplifier design as it affects the gain and stability of the circuit. A lower emitter resistance can lead to higher gain, but it can also cause thermal runaway and decrease stability. Therefore, it must be carefully considered when designing an amplifier circuit.

5. How can BJT emitter resistance be minimized?

BJT emitter resistance can be minimized by using a resistor in parallel with the emitter terminal, also known as an emitter degeneration resistor. This helps to reduce the effective emitter resistance and improve the linearity and stability of the circuit. The value of this resistor can be chosen based on the desired gain and stability requirements.