Qusetion about dynamic emitter resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses the nodal equations of BJTs and how to analyze a circuit to find input and output impedances. The question is whether the intrinsic emitter resistance, Rbe, should be multiplied by the term beta+1. The conversation concludes that for the output impedance of an emitter follower, neither Rbe nor the external resistor should be multiplied by beta+1. The correct equation is Rbe + Rsource / (Hfe + 1), possibly including the external emitter resistance RE in parallel when the load is separate from RE.
bitrex
I have a question about the nodal equations of BJTs - when analyzing a circuit to find out the input impedance, output impedance etc. is the term representing the intrinsic emitter resistance, Rbe (that is approximately 26mv/Ic) multiplied by the term beta+1? I'm looking at two references, and in one of them the output impedance of an emitter follower is calculated with the intrinsic emitter resistance and the external resistor both multiplied by beta+1, and another just has the external emitter resistance multiplied by beta+1 and not Rbe.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You might be asking about amplifiers where they have an unbypassed emitter resistor and take the output from a collector resistor.

Call I the input signal current. (not the bias current)
The input voltage in that case is I * base emitter resistance plus ( I * (Hfe +1)) times RE
where RE is the emitter resistor.
Looks complicated but it is just saying the base emitter junction and the emitter resistor are in series. The the base emitter junction has I going through it and the emitter resistor has this current plus an amplified version of it.

Now if the emitter resistor is more than 100 ohms or so, the amplified current through it will make the voltage across the base emitter junction negligible so you can simplify things by ignoring it. This leads to the nice approximation that the gain of such an amplifier is equal to the collector resistance divided by the emitter resistance almost regardless of the transistor used.

bitrex said:
I have a question about the nodal equations of BJTs - when analyzing a circuit to find out the input impedance, output impedance etc. is the term representing the intrinsic emitter resistance, Rbe (that is approximately 26mv/Ic) multiplied by the term beta+1? I'm looking at two references, and in one of them the output impedance of an emitter follower is calculated with the intrinsic emitter resistance and the external resistor both multiplied by beta+1, and another just has the external emitter resistance multiplied by beta+1 and not Rbe.

Both are wrong (or you are mis-interpreting or mis-understanding the topology). For the output impedance of an emitter follower neither of the mentioned resistances should be multipied by beta+1.

You are right, UART - I mistyped. In the case of the emitter follower the output impedance is just Rbe + Rsource / B + 1.

Yes that's correct bitrex (and possibly also including the external emitter resistance RE in parallel in the case where the load is separate to RE).

What is dynamic emitter resistance?

Dynamic emitter resistance is a measure of the change in resistance of a transistor's emitter terminal as a function of the applied voltage or current. It is an important characteristic that affects the performance of a transistor in electronic circuits.

How is dynamic emitter resistance calculated?

Dynamic emitter resistance is typically calculated by measuring the change in voltage and current at the emitter terminal and then dividing the change in voltage by the change in current. This calculation is often done with the transistor in a specific circuit configuration, such as a common emitter amplifier.

What factors affect dynamic emitter resistance?

The main factors that affect dynamic emitter resistance are the transistor's physical structure, temperature, and operating conditions. For example, a transistor with a larger emitter area will typically have a lower dynamic emitter resistance, and a higher operating temperature can increase the dynamic emitter resistance.

Why is dynamic emitter resistance important?

Dynamic emitter resistance is an important characteristic to consider when designing electronic circuits using transistors. It affects the gain and stability of the circuit, and can also impact the overall performance and efficiency. A lower dynamic emitter resistance is generally desirable for better circuit performance.

How can dynamic emitter resistance be minimized?

Dynamic emitter resistance can be minimized by selecting a transistor with a larger emitter area, using a lower operating temperature, and choosing appropriate circuit configurations. Additionally, using degeneration resistors in the circuit can help reduce the effect of dynamic emitter resistance.