Finding the Minimum Number of Sides for a Rotating Regular Polygon

In summary, the floor tile has the shape of a regular polygon. If the tile is removed from the floor and rotated through 50◦ it will fit back exactly into its original place in the floor. The least number of sides that the polygon can have is 7.
icystrike

Homework Statement

A floor tile has the shape of a regular polygon. If the tile is removed from the floor
and rotated through 50◦ it will fit back exactly into its original place in the floor.
The least number of sides that the polygon can have is?

I don't know what are the theories that i should be learning to solve this question.

One of the Roman dice in the British Museum has 6 square faces and 8 triangular
faces. It is twice as likely to land on any given square face as any given triangular
face. What is the probability that the face it lands on is triangular, when thrown?

I don't understand what the question requires

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, if the polygon is rotated by 50o and is symetrically the same to fit back into the tile space, it means that the least possible sides must be [tex]\frac{360}{50}=7\frac{1}{5}[/tex] sides. But it has to be a polygon, thus the answer needs to be an integer. What highest common factor of 50 is also a factor of 360? What does this tell you?

For the second, if a square face is twice as likely as a triangle face, can't you then consider 1 square to = 2 triangles? :smile:

Mentallic said:
For the first one, if the polygon is rotated by 50o and is symetrically the same to fit back into the tile space, it means that the least possible sides must be [tex]\frac{360}{50}=7\frac{1}{5}[/tex] sides. But it has to be a polygon, thus the answer needs to be an integer. What highest common factor of 50 is also a factor of 360? What does this tell you?

For the second, if a square face is twice as likely as a triangle face, can't you then consider 1 square to = 2 triangles? :smile:

Thanks!
1)HCF of 360 and 50 is 1800
Therefore the sides of the polygon is 1800/50=36
2)The probability is 8/(6*2+8)=2/5

Can you please prompt me on this question?
If f(x)=[tex]a_0+a_1x+a_2x^2 ... a_nx^n[/tex]
f(1)=8
f(35)=6^6

Find f(7)

well you actually found the lowest common denominator of both numbers, but you adjusted your last part to the problem to get the correct answer :smile:
Another way, the highest common factor would be 10o (10 is the largest number that can be multiplied by an integer to become both 50 and 360) and thus the sides of the polygon is 360o/10o=36 sides.

Yes you correctly found the probability.

Sorry I'm unsure of the answer myself. You should create another thread for it.

Mentallic said:
well you actually found the lowest common denominator of both numbers, but you adjusted your last part to the problem to get the correct answer :smile:
Another way, the highest common factor would be 10o (10 is the largest number that can be multiplied by an integer to become both 50 and 360) and thus the sides of the polygon is 360o/10o=36 sides.

Yes you correctly found the probability.

Sorry I'm unsure of the answer myself. You should create another thread for it.

You've been a great help , Thanks! :smile:

1. What is the definition of rotation in a regular polygon?

Rotation in a regular polygon refers to the movement of the polygon around a central point, known as the center of rotation. Each point on the polygon moves in a circular path around the center, while maintaining the same distance from the center.

2. How is the angle of rotation determined in a regular polygon?

The angle of rotation in a regular polygon is determined by dividing 360 degrees by the number of sides in the polygon. This is because a full rotation in a regular polygon is equal to 360 degrees, and each side of the polygon creates an angle at the center of rotation.

3. What is the relationship between the number of sides in a regular polygon and the angle of rotation?

The angle of rotation in a regular polygon is inversely proportional to the number of sides in the polygon. This means that as the number of sides increases, the angle of rotation decreases, and vice versa.

4. How does the direction of rotation affect a regular polygon?

The direction of rotation in a regular polygon can be either clockwise or counterclockwise. This affects the orientation of the polygon and the position of its vertices. For example, a clockwise rotation may result in a different arrangement of vertices compared to a counterclockwise rotation.

5. Can a regular polygon have multiple rotation points?

No, a regular polygon can only have one center of rotation. This is because all points on the polygon must move in a circular path around a single point to maintain the regular shape of the polygon. However, a polygon can be rotated around different points by changing the center of rotation.