Gauss's Law Electricity: Electric Field Between 2 Sheets

In summary, the electric field between two square metal plates with a side length of 1.0 m and separated by 3.0 cm is 180 N/C. Using the equations for charge density and electric field, it can be determined that the charge on each plate is approximately 3.186e-9 C or 1.593e-9 C, depending on whether or not the distance between the plates is taken into account.
ryanmcf10

Homework Statement

The electric field between two square metal plates is 180 N/C. The plates are 1.0 m on a side and are separated by 3.0 cm, as in the figure. What is the charge on each plate? Neglect edge effects.
22-29.gif

Homework Equations

i don't know how to make any fancy sybols sorry

charge density = charge / (area x Eo)

electric field = charge density / 2

The Attempt at a Solution

180 = charge density/(2 x 8.85e-12)
charge density = 3.186e-9

3.186e-9 = Q / 1
Q = 3.186e-9

I know that the distance between the two sheets has to be taken into consideration, but I'm not sure where.

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind, i figured it out. distance doesn't matter at all.

[STRIKE]180[/STRIKE] 90 = charge density/(2 x 8.85e-12)
charge density = [STRIKE]3.186e-9[/STRIKE] 1.593e-9

[STRIKE]3.186e-9[/STRIKE] 1.593e-9 = Q / 1
Q = [STRIKE]3.186e-9[/STRIKE] 1.593e-9

I would first clarify what is meant by "neglecting edge effects." If this means that the electric field is uniform between the two plates and does not vary at the edges, then your attempt at a solution is correct. However, if edge effects are not negligible, then the electric field may not be exactly 180 N/C and the charge on each plate may not be exactly 3.186e-9 C. In this case, more information or a different approach would be needed to accurately determine the charge on each plate. Additionally, I would also check the units in your calculations to ensure they are consistent.

What is Gauss's Law for electricity?

Gauss's Law for electricity is one of Maxwell's equations that explains the relationship between electric fields and electric charges. It states that the electric flux through any closed surface is proportional to the enclosed electric charge.

What is the formula for electric field between 2 sheets?

The formula for electric field between 2 sheets is E = σ/ε, where E is the electric field, σ is the surface charge density, and ε is the permittivity of the medium between the sheets.

How is Gauss's Law applied to finding the electric field between 2 sheets?

Gauss's Law is applied by drawing a Gaussian surface between the 2 sheets and calculating the electric flux through that surface. The electric flux is then equated to the enclosed charge, which can be rearranged to solve for the electric field.

What are the assumptions made in using Gauss's Law for finding electric field between 2 sheets?

The assumptions made are that the sheets are infinite and parallel, the electric field is constant between the sheets, and the charge is uniformly distributed on the sheets.

Can Gauss's Law be used to find the electric field between 2 non-parallel sheets?

No, Gauss's Law can only be used for calculating the electric field between 2 parallel sheets. For non-parallel sheets, other methods such as Coulomb's law or integration may be used.