Why cannot Physics be taught like Math?

• Thread starter WiFO215
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, Feynman discusses the difference between teaching physics and math, stating that intuition is necessary in physics but not in math. While physics is based on experiments and observations, math is based on axioms and rules. However, intuition plays a critical role in both fields, with physical intuition coming from everyday experiences and mathematical intuition being developed through playing with mathematical concepts.
WiFO215
I was (re-)reading the Feynman lectures, wherein Feynman comments it is not possible to teach Physics the way one teaches math; that one cannot just give all the basic axioms we have built on the subject till now, and then develop from there. He goes on to say that one needs to develop an intuition for the subject. Isn't intuition necessary in math too (or is this a different intuition we are talking about?)?

I understand that physics has more of its basis on experiments and that's where the axioms stem from.
Once that is done with, is it not possible to use these as axioms and develop the subject from there? If the theory we build on is right and it predicts something that we can verify experimentally, we can do so and that would be a supporting factor for our theories.

Is this not the same as they do in math: play with the topic, make a conjecture, see if one can find a proof and hence prove a theorem or chuck the idea?

I also understand that no one does their experiment saying, "Hey! I'm going to look for an axiom that describes the world today." But when one does do an experiment, what does one use as a basis to model their experiment? How does one check if his experiment is right? He'd use whatever physics he knew at the time of setting up the experiment, right? So wouldn't that be like building upon the older axioms and hence more or less like math?

Please and Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
How does one check if his experiment is right?

Experiments are always right, at least as long as no one is actively trying to commit fraud.
The tricky part is preparing the experiment in such a way that the results can be used to learn something new; and once the experiment is done to interpret the data.

From a practical point of view most experiments will contain an element of "Lets try and see what happens" where you are not sure what you expect.
After, all you DO know what result you will get there is no point in performing the experiment in the first place, is there?

The axioms of physics are observation- that is the one truth, this is vastly different from maths where the axioms are "sensible" sounding rules which are then built up from in the hope that the result is a useful structure which can be used to model the world. With physics the game is reversed- you see the results and have to work out the rules, or 'axioms' of the universe!
That's my view..

Feynman was a very intuitive physicist anyway so I'm not surprised he said that, but I agree that the analytical side is often overestimated, especially in school where the exam system is strongly biased towards finding numerical answers and expressions.

I think what had to be said was said by the two previous posters. However, I find your question about intuition compelling. Mathematical and physical intuition are very different things. In large, for classical dynamics, physical intuition stems from your every day experiences. When you get to more "unintuitive" theories like Relativity and QM, we develop a sort of understanding of how the world works in those regimes, and this is independent of the mathematics involved. Mathematical intuition is something that is developed from playing with mathematics and learning to find interesting patterns or how to predict how some problem will turn out in a purely mathematical sense. Mathematical intuition is a critical tool for physicists, as it can allow them to see how the equations of motion will develop after the physical parameters in the system are well defined. However physical intuition plays little role in mathematics (save for fields of math that can applied directly to physics).

1. Why is Physics considered harder to learn than Math?

Physics involves understanding and applying complex concepts, theories, and equations to real-world scenarios. Unlike math, which has a set of rules and formulas that can be memorized, physics requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills. This makes it more challenging for some people to grasp.

2. Can't Physics be taught using the same approach as Math?

While some aspects of physics can be taught using a similar approach as math, it is not possible to teach the subject entirely like math. Physics deals with the physical world and involves experimentation, observation, and analysis, which cannot be replicated in a math classroom.

3. Why does Physics require more hands-on learning compared to Math?

Physics is a science that relies heavily on experimentation and practical applications. It is crucial for students to have hands-on experience with physical phenomena to understand the concepts better. Math, on the other hand, can be taught using theoretical methods, making it less dependent on practical learning.

4. Is it true that understanding Physics requires a deeper understanding of Math?

While a strong foundation in math is essential for understanding physics, it is not a prerequisite. Physics uses mathematical concepts and formulas to explain natural phenomena, but the two subjects are distinct and have different approaches to problem-solving.

5. Why do some people find Math easier to learn than Physics?

Individuals have different strengths and weaknesses, and some people may find math easier to understand because it is more structured and rule-based. On the other hand, physics requires critical thinking and a deep understanding of concepts, which can be more challenging for some individuals.