Physics for electrical engineering: Which topic should I start from?

Ultimately, it’s important to assess your own knowledge and prioritize the topics that you feel are most important for your goals. In summary, when deciding which topics to review in physics for electrical engineering, it is important to consider your individual learning goals. If you are simply looking to review the basics, starting with topics related to electrostatics may be the best approach. However, for a deeper understanding of the subject, it may be beneficial to also review topics like linear motion, momentum, work, energy, and other related principles. Ultimately, prioritizing the topics that align with your goals is key.
Juwane
I'm already half way through electrical engineering undergraduate course (I have taken subjects like circuit analysis and electromagnetic theory), and I am thinking of reviewing these subjects. For this, I also need to review physics. However, I don't know which topic should I start from. I want to study as much physics as is needed for electrical engineering subjects. Should I skip topics mostly related to mechanical engineering, like linear motion, projectile motion, laws of gravity, momentum, work, energy, harmonic motion, thermodynamics, fluid, optics, etc. and start directly from those relating to electrostatics?

Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on your individual learning goals. If you’re just looking to review the basics, then it may be best to start with topics related to electrostatics like electric fields, Coulomb’s law, Gauss’s law, electric potential, capacitance, etc. However, if you’re looking to go deeper into the subject and gain a better understanding of the underlying principles, then it may be beneficial to also review topics related to linear motion, momentum, work, energy, harmonic motion, thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, optics, etc. as these are all topics that can help build a strong foundation for electrical engineering.

I would recommend starting from the basics of classical mechanics and then moving on to electrostatics. While it may seem tempting to skip over topics that seem more relevant to mechanical engineering, it is important to have a strong foundation in all areas of physics in order to fully understand and apply concepts in electrical engineering.

Classical mechanics, which includes topics such as linear and projectile motion, laws of gravity, momentum, work, energy, and harmonic motion, lays the groundwork for understanding the principles of motion and forces that are essential in electrical engineering. By reviewing these topics, you will have a better understanding of how electricity and magnetism interact with physical objects and systems.

Once you have a solid understanding of classical mechanics, I would recommend moving on to electrostatics, which is the study of electric charges at rest. This topic is directly applicable to electrical engineering and will provide you with the necessary knowledge to understand concepts such as electric fields, capacitance, and electric potential.

While it may seem like you can skip over topics that are not directly related to electrical engineering, it is important to remember that all areas of physics are interconnected and build upon each other. By reviewing the basics of classical mechanics, you will have a stronger foundation for understanding electrostatics and other topics in electrical engineering.

In addition, I would also recommend reviewing topics such as thermodynamics and optics, as they have important applications in electrical engineering, especially in areas such as energy conversion and fiber optics.

Overall, my recommendation would be to review all topics in physics, starting with the basics of classical mechanics and then moving on to electrostatics and other relevant topics. This will provide you with a comprehensive understanding of physics and how it relates to electrical engineering.

1. What is the difference between classical physics and modern physics?

Classical physics is the study of mechanics, motion, and energy at a macroscopic level, while modern physics deals with subatomic particles, relativity, and quantum mechanics at a microscopic level.

2. What are the basic principles of electricity and magnetism?

The basic principles of electricity and magnetism are based on the interactions between charged particles and the effects of electric and magnetic fields.

3. How does Ohm's Law relate to electrical engineering?

Ohm's Law states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. This law is essential in understanding and designing electrical circuits and devices in electrical engineering.

4. What is the role of electromagnetism in electrical engineering?

Electromagnetism is the foundation of electrical engineering, as it explains the behavior of electric and magnetic fields and their interactions with each other. This knowledge is crucial in designing and operating various electrical and electronic devices.

5. How does physics play a role in understanding and designing electrical circuits?

Physics principles, such as Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws, are fundamental in understanding the behavior of electrical circuits. They also help in designing and optimizing circuits for specific purposes, such as power transmission and signal processing.