Job prospect for civil and general engineering.

In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate student in civil engineering who is considering switching to a different field due to concerns about job prospects. They are also interested in mechanical engineering, but their GPA is not high enough to transfer into that program. They are now considering transferring into General Engineering with a focus on Automotive Engineering or Robotics. They want to know which field has better job prospects and if there are any other engineering fields similar to mechanical engineering. They also want to know which specific fields within civil engineering have better job prospects. The conversation takes place at the University of Illinois and the speaker questions the statement that the job prospects for civil engineering are not good, especially in the structural side.
driedupfish
I am an undergrad in civil. I've heard the current job prospect for civil engineering isn't looking very good, especially in the structural side. So I am tempting to switch out. I am equally interested in mechanical and civil, however, my gpa wasn't good enough to get into mechanical. So instead I am considering transfer into General Engineering with a secondary field in Automotive Engineering or Robotics. Which one has better job prospect (civil or general engineering)?
Like I said, I am interested in both of these engineering disciplines, I am looking to compare which one has better job prospect.

Is here another field of engineering that is similar to MechE, that I can look into?

Another question: If I choose to stay in civil, which primary field has better job prospect (structural, geotech, environmental, construction management..etc) ?

By the way, I attend the University of Illinois.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you hear that current job prospect for civil engineering isn't looking very good, especially in the structural side.

Structural side is suppose to be the best.

What is the job outlook for civil and general engineering?

The job outlook for civil and general engineering is projected to grow by 2% from 2019 to 2029, which is slower than the average for all occupations. However, due to the aging infrastructure and increasing demand for sustainable solutions, there will still be a steady demand for civil and general engineers.

What industries do civil and general engineers typically work in?

Civil and general engineers can work in a variety of industries, including construction, transportation, government, and consulting. They may also work in specific sectors such as environmental engineering or structural engineering.

What skills are necessary for a career in civil and general engineering?

Some essential skills for civil and general engineers include critical thinking and problem-solving, mathematical and analytical skills, communication and teamwork, and knowledge of engineering principles and software. They also need to be detail-oriented, organized, and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.

What education and training is required for a career in civil and general engineering?

To become a civil or general engineer, you typically need a bachelor's degree in engineering from an accredited program. Some employers may also require a master's degree. Additionally, engineers must pass a licensing exam to become a Professional Engineer (PE).

What is the salary potential for civil and general engineers?

The median annual wage for civil engineers was $87,060 in May 2020, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The salary can vary depending on experience, location, and industry, but generally, civil and general engineers have a competitive salary and potential for advancement.