Testing Equipment for Electronics: Expert Recommendations

In summary, there is a discussion among forum members about good testing equipment for electronics, specifically multimeters. Suggestions are welcome and personal experience is valued. The CHY 20 Multimeter and the LCR1810 are recommended as good options for those with a budget of $100, although trade-offs must be considered in terms of features and performance. The Fluke 110 series is mentioned as a reputable brand, but the LCR1810 is believed to have a larger range of functions. The Fluke 87 is also mentioned as an excellent option. It is noted that the Fluke 87 III has a Siemens scale, but it is not clear what the difference is between the 87 III and the 87.
kyle_soule
I think, myself included [and mainly:smile:], there are people at PF that would like to know good testing equipment for electronics and such [multimeters etc].

Anybody with knowledge on the subject is welcome to suggest products and personal experience is very good also.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Name your aim;

You mean the best/most bang for the buck and/or what I, for example, might consider worth having?

Originally posted by BoulderHead
You mean the best/most bang for the buck and/or what I, for example, might consider worth having?
Yeah. Everyone could use at the very least a cheap little analog multimeter, but a real analyzer is nice to have (depending on what you want it for).

Let's say you only had $100 US to spend and you needed as many features as possile. Well, there are always trade-offs on features and performance, but here is a pretty good one;

http://www.cs-sales.com/cgi-bin/w3-msql/New.product_detail.html?mn=LCR1810

The above seems to trade transistor checking capability for temperature taking. I have a CHY 20 Multimeter with hFE testing (instead of temp) but I couldn't find a link to provide.
Now, when you really start digging at the specs you might find that,
yes, it measures ac voltages, but the frequency must fall between 50
and 1000 Hz in order to give an accurate measure (so when you design a device that produces ac above or below that frequency you have to use a different piece of test equipment). Also, yes, it might measure frequency up to 15,000 Hz, but it requires an amplitude of at least 1 volt, and so forth. But anyway, these things are all a part of the trade-off I mentioned above. For most simple projects something like the one above will be a definate plus. Later, when you have more finance you can get you a German-made spectrum analyser that measures from 10Hz to Infinity for a couple-hundred thousand dollars or so, haha. Best thing is to educate yourself on what the specs mean and then start looking around for one that has all the features you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fluke makes the best digital multimeters. Tektronix makes the best digital oscilloscopes. National Instruments makes the best GPIB cards. HP makes the best network analyzers. Jorway makes the best automation and controlling equipment. Xilinx makes the best programmable logic devices.

eNtRopY

Mkay, now that is out of the way for us, what is are good beginner multimeters?

Also, how does the Fluke 110 series rank compared (features) with others?

BOULDERHEAD: Is the Multimeter you gave a link to better than the Fluke 110, 111, or 112?

Basically, I want a multimeter that can give me the largest range of functions for right around 100 dollars. I don't care so much about the extreme range of THE functions, just the largest amount of functions.

Originally posted by kyle_soule
Mkay, now that is out of the way for us, what is are good beginner multimeters?

Also, how does the Fluke 110 series rank compared (features) with others?

BOULDERHEAD: Is the Multimeter you gave a link to better than the Fluke 110, 111, or 112?

Basically, I want a multimeter that can give me the largest range of functions for right around 100 dollars. I don't care so much about the extreme range of THE functions, just the largest amount of functions.
I don't think those models measure inductance or capacitance. They most likely give you more accurate measurements within the scope of parameters they do check, but if you want those other capabilities you will need to look elsewhere.

Originally posted by BoulderHead
I don't think those models measure inductance or capacitance. They most likely give you more accurate measurements within the scope of parameters they do check, but if you want those other capabilities you will need to look elsewhere.

Perhaps you could compile a list of functions that one would look for?

SIDE NOTE: They do measure capacitance, not sure about inductance.

Check ebay, it sometimes has good deals. I've gotten a few DAQ products and they work great.

JMD

Is the Fluke 87 any good?

Fluke 87 is execellent. Has a Siemens scale if I remember.

Originally posted by GENIERE
Fluke 87 is execellent. Has a Siemens scale if I remember.

Very good, it is the most likely on my list, actually the only one on my list so far:smile:

What is the difference between the 87 III and the 87?

Last edited:

1. What types of testing equipment are recommended for electronics?

The recommended testing equipment for electronics includes multimeters, oscilloscopes, function generators, power supplies, and logic analyzers. These tools are essential for measuring and analyzing different aspects of electronic circuits.

2. How do I know which testing equipment is the best for my needs?

It is important to consider your specific testing needs and the types of circuits you will be working with when selecting testing equipment. You may also consult with experienced electronics professionals for their recommendations.

3. Can I use the same testing equipment for different types of electronics?

While some basic testing equipment can be used for a variety of electronic circuits, it is recommended to have specialized tools for specific types of circuits or components. For example, a logic analyzer is best for testing digital circuits, while an oscilloscope is better suited for analog circuits.

4. How often should I calibrate my testing equipment?

It is recommended to calibrate testing equipment at least once a year, or more frequently if it is heavily used. This will ensure accurate measurements and reliable results. Some equipment may also have self-calibration features that can be used on a regular basis.

5. Can I use DIY or homemade testing equipment for electronics?

While DIY or homemade testing equipment may seem like a cost-effective option, it is not recommended for accurate and reliable results. It is best to invest in high-quality, professionally-made testing equipment to ensure proper functionality and safety when working with electronics.