Inverse matrices with scalar multiplication.

In summary, the conversation discusses the basic way to factor out a scalar multiple when a matrix is raised to a certain power and confirms that (λT)^n= λ^n (T^n) for λ ϵ F and Tϵ L(V). It also mentions that matrix multiplication is just composition of linear maps and provides an example for clarification. Finally, it is confirmed that the formula holds for strictly negative values of n as well.
brydustin
I was surprised that I have never had to do this in so long and forgot the basic way to factor out a scalar multiple when a matrix is raised to a certain power (for example -1 for inverse matrices).

Basically, I just want some confirmation:

(λT)^n= λ^n (T^n ) ∶ for λ ϵ F and Tϵ L(V).
For example:
(λT)^(-1)=(1/λ) T^(-1)
or…. (λI-T)^(-1)=(1/λ) (I-T/λ)^(-1)

Physics news on Phys.org
we have tex, sup and sub tags. Request to use them.

brydustin said:
Basically, I just want some confirmation:

(λT)^n= λ^n (T^n ) ∶ for λ ϵ F and Tϵ L(V).
Remember that matrix multiplication is just composition of linear maps.

For all x we have

[tex]((\lambda T)\circ (\lambda T))(x)=(\lambda T)(\lambda (Tx))=\lambda(\lambda T(Tx))=\lambda^2(T\circ T(x))=(\lambda^2 T^2) x[/tex]

using linearity. So it holds for n=2. By induction it holds for all n.

Landau said:
Remember that matrix multiplication is just composition of linear maps.

For all x we have

[tex]((\lambda T)\circ (\lambda T))(x)=(\lambda T)(\lambda (Tx))=\lambda(\lambda T(Tx))=\lambda^2(T\circ T(x))=(\lambda^2 T^2) x[/tex]

using linearity. So it holds for n=2. By induction it holds for all n.

great! I thank this wraps up this thread then... I assume then that it holds for strictly negative values of n as well...

Yes, if T is invertible and lambda =/0 then

[tex](\lambda^{-1}T^{-1}\circ \lambda T)(x)=(\lambda^{-1}T^{-1})(\lambda Tx)=T^{-1}Tx=x[/tex]

hence

[tex](\lambda T)^{-1}=\lambda^{-1}T^{-1}.[/tex]

What is an inverse matrix?

An inverse matrix is a square matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. The identity matrix is a special matrix where the values on the main diagonal are all 1 and all other values are 0.

How do you find the inverse of a matrix?

To find the inverse of a matrix, you must first calculate the determinant of the matrix. If the determinant is equal to 0, the matrix does not have an inverse. If the determinant is not equal to 0, you can then use the matrix's values to calculate the inverse using a specific formula.

What is scalar multiplication?

Scalar multiplication is the process of multiplying a scalar (a single number) by each element in a matrix. The result is a new matrix with the same dimensions as the original, but with each element multiplied by the scalar value.

How does scalar multiplication affect an inverse matrix?

Multiplying a matrix by a scalar does not affect whether or not it has an inverse. However, if the scalar is 0, the resulting matrix will not have an inverse and if the scalar is not 0, the inverse will also be multiplied by the scalar.

Can you use scalar multiplication to find the inverse of a matrix?

No, scalar multiplication alone cannot be used to find the inverse of a matrix. It is only one step in the process and must be combined with other mathematical operations to find the inverse.