Einstein's theory of Special Relativity

In summary: If you're asking about relativistic mass, then the answer is no. If you're asking about invariant mass, the answer is yes.
UrbanXrisis
Okay, I need to get something straight. In Einstein's theory of Special Relativity, as you approach the speed of light, you become more massive correct? So does that mean we are more massive in a moving car than sleeping in our beds?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's relative. If you're observing a sleeper in a moving bed from your car he/she will appear more massive! :-)

UrbanXrisis said:
Okay, I need to get something straight. In Einstein's theory of Special Relativity, as you approach the speed of light, you become more massive correct? So does that mean we are more massive in a moving car than sleeping in our beds?

Try the sci.physics.faq

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/mass.html

Does mass change with velocity?

There is sometimes confusion surrounding the subject of mass in relativity. This is because there are two separate uses of the term. Sometimes people say "mass" when they mean "relativistic mass", mr but at other times they say "mass" when they mean "invariant mass", m0. These two meanings are not the same. The invariant mass of a particle is independent of its velocity v, whereas relativistic mass increases with velocity and tends to infinity as the velocity approaches the speed of light c. They can be defined as follows:

mr = E/c2
m0 = sqrt(E2/c4 - p2/c2)

where E is energy, p is momentum and c is the speed of light in a vacuum. The velocity dependent relation between the two is

mr = m0 /sqrt(1 - v2/c2)

Of the two, the definition of invariant mass is much preferred over the definition of relativistic mass. These days, when physicists talk about mass in their research, they always mean invariant mass. The symbol m for invariant mass is used without the subscript 0. Although the idea of relativistic mass is not wrong, it often leads to confusion...

So the answer is a qualified no.

how does something have reletive mass?

Mk said:
how does something have reletive mass?

Any object that is moving relative to you has "relative mass". If it is stationary relative to you it has only "rest mass". Notice that both of those are "relative to you". Another person, who is himself moving relative to you will see those differently.

If: Both of my arms have equal mass

If I spun around with my right hand out, my right hand would be more massive relative to my left hand?

UrbanXrisis said:
If: Both of my arms have equal mass

If I spun around with my right hand out, my right hand would be more massive relative to my left hand?
Yes.

However, I doubt that even the strongest atomic bonds would keep an object - let alone your arm - sufficiently rigid (or attached!) for you to measure this effect :cry:

Now, if you were a neutron star ...

actually is not very preferred by theoreticians to use the idea of relativistic mass. It's better to use the notion of invariant mass, m. If a a particle is massive, then with its invariant mass m you can calculate its rest energy:
[tex]
E_{r}=m*c^{2}
[/tex]
its kinetic energy
[tex]
E_{k}=gamma*m*c^{2}-m*c^2
[/tex]
and its total energy
[tex]
E_{t}=gamma*m*c^{2}
[/tex]

Last edited:
meteor said:
actually is not very preferred by theoreticians to use the idea of relativistic mass. It's better to use the notion of invariant mass, m.

Exactly. Some people do seem to like relativistic mass (hi Pete!). In any event, asking, as one poster did:

invites confusion, because the logical response would be "do you mean relativistic mass, or invariant mass?".

1. What is Einstein's theory of Special Relativity?

Einstein's theory of Special Relativity is a theory that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and that the speed of light is constant and independent of the observer's frame of reference.

2. How did Einstein come up with this theory?

Einstein developed the theory of Special Relativity in 1905, based on his observations and thought experiments about the behavior of light and the laws of physics. He also studied the work of other scientists, including Maxwell's equations of electromagnetism and the principle of relativity proposed by Galileo.

3. What are some key concepts of Special Relativity?

Some key concepts of Special Relativity include the relativity of simultaneity, time dilation, length contraction, and the equivalence of mass and energy (E=mc^2). It also introduces the concept of spacetime, where space and time are intertwined and cannot be viewed separately.

4. How has Special Relativity been verified?

Special Relativity has been verified through numerous experiments, including the measurements of the speed of light, the observation of time dilation in high-speed particles, and the effects of gravity on the motion of objects. It has also been successfully applied in various technological advancements, such as GPS systems.

5. Can Special Relativity be applied to everyday life?

Yes, Special Relativity can be applied to everyday life, as it helps us understand the behavior of light, time, and space. It also plays a crucial role in modern technologies, such as GPS, nuclear energy, and particle accelerators. However, its effects are only noticeable at very high speeds and in extreme conditions, so we may not directly experience them in our daily lives.