Undetermined coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses using undetermined coefficients for nonhomogeneous equations and finding the particular solution for an equation equal to 3xe^x. The suggested form for the particular solution is (Ax+B)ex, determined by looking at the forcing term. It is also mentioned that there are standard formulas that can be used as a reference.
cue928
I'm working on undetermined coefficients for nonhomogeneous equations. I have an equation that is equal to 3xe^x. For an earlier one that was equal to e raised to 8x, I used Ae^8x; but on this one, obviously that won't work. I don't know what I should be looking at. I tried Axe^x but no dice on that one either. I know things are supposed to cancel but for two terms multiplied together, how does that work for cancelling purposes? Is it really just a guessing game as to what the form of the particular solution should be?

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to use yp(x) = (Ax+B)ex. I'm assuming that these terms are independent of your homogeneous solutions.

They are, but how did you know how to use that formula? Our book suggests determining it is an educated guess but another book I use as a reference seems to suggest there are standard formulas. What should I be looking at in determining what to use? Thanks!

1. What are "undetermined coefficients" in mathematics?

Undetermined coefficients refer to a method used in solving differential equations. It involves finding the coefficients of a particular solution by assuming a form for the solution and then solving for the unknown coefficients.

2. How does the method of undetermined coefficients work?

The method of undetermined coefficients works by assuming a form for the particular solution and then using this form to find the coefficients through substitution into the differential equation. The resulting coefficients are then used to form the particular solution.

3. When is the method of undetermined coefficients used?

The method of undetermined coefficients is typically used when the differential equation has constant coefficients and the right-hand side of the equation is a polynomial, exponential, sine, or cosine function.

4. What are the advantages of using the method of undetermined coefficients?

One of the main advantages of using the method of undetermined coefficients is that it is relatively easy to use and can be applied to a wide range of differential equations. It also allows for the determination of particular solutions without having to solve the entire differential equation.

5. Are there any limitations to using the method of undetermined coefficients?

Yes, the method of undetermined coefficients has some limitations. It can only be used for linear differential equations with constant coefficients, and it may not work for all types of right-hand side functions. In some cases, other methods such as variation of parameters may be more suitable.