Transfrom scheme into eq. scheme with one EMF and one resistor.

In summary, when looking to find the Thevenin equivalent for the circuit in pic. 1, you need to find the open circuit voltage at a-b, and the Thevenin resistance "looking into" a-b. There are no immediate opportunities to combine resistances in either series or in parallel, so serial configurations are not available, and while some components share a node at one end, at the other they have another component situated between their connections, so no parallel configurations are possible. You should be trying to find the output voltage at a-b, and then the equivalent resistance at a-b with all the sources suppressed (which means shorting voltage supplies and removing current supplies).
builder_user
I don't know English well(I'm from russian speaking countries) but I try to explain the problem(and practise my english too)

Homework Statement

Transfrom scheme into eq. scheme with one EMF and one resistor.

Homework Equations

Where is the series configuration of resistors and where is the parallel configuration?

The Attempt at a Solution

R1=7 Ohms
J1= 1 A
E1= 8 V
E2= 4 V
R2=5 Ohms
R3=1 Ohm
R4=3 Ohms

Attachments

• file.JPG
    file.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 351
Physics news on Phys.org

There does not appear to be any immediate opportunities to combine resistances in either series or in parallel. At each junction there is more than two components attached, so serial configurations are not available, and while some components share a node at one end, at the other they have another component situated between their connections, so no parallel configurations.

What is the goal for this problem? If you are looking to find the Thevenin equivalent for the circuit, then when you disable the current and voltage supplies to find the Thevenin resistance some opportunities may arise to combine resistances in series and parallel.

I need to transform this scheme to scheme(pic.2)

I don't know what can I do with(pic.1)

gneill said:
when you disable the current and voltage supplies
how can I do it?

Attachments

• file.JPG
    file.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 370
  • temp.JPG
    temp.JPG
    3.4 KB · Views: 362

Okay, you're looking to find the Thevenin equivalent for the circuit in pic. 1. That means finding the open circuit voltage at a-b, and the Thevenin resistance "looking into" a-b. Have you covered Thevenin equivalents in your coursework or textbook? If not, there's plenty of references online if you do a search.

How can I delete J1(or substitute it) from the circuit?

Why do you want to delete or substitute it?

You should be trying to find the output voltage at a-b, and then the equivalent resistance at a-b with all the sources suppressed (which means shorting voltage supplies and removing current supplies).

gneill said:
Why do you want to delete or substitute it?
Because I don't know how to
gneill said:
find the output voltage at a-b.

You could write KVL equations for the three loops. Assign an unknown voltage across J1, and as an additional equation, note that J1 is related to the currents in the two loops that it is a member of.

Attachments

• Thev3.jpg
    Thev3.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 390

KVL
(I1-I2)*R2+R4(I1-I2)=E1
I2R3+R2(I2-I1)-J1=0
I3R3+R4(I3-I1)+J1=-E2

I Can find I1,I2,I3.I can find amperage(google translator) in every branch.But what it gives to me?

With I2 you can find the voltage across R3. That's the same as the voltage at a-b, and is your Thevenin equivalent voltage.

Next you need to find he Thevenin resistance by suppressing all the sources and finding the equivalent resistance at a-b.

gneill said:
Next you need to find he Thevenin resistance by suppressing all the sources and finding the equivalent resistance at a-b.

What do I need to do with U3=I3*R3=1.6*1=1.6V?

The voltage across R3 will be the voltage of the source in the Thevenin equivalent, the E in your second pic.

But there's a bit of a problem with the value that you calculated; I don't get the same value. Can you check your algebra? If you can't find a problem, then perhaps you should post your loop equations.

I found a mistake in my posts' equatations.In the third equatation I3*R1!
I got this values(I1,I2,I3) in mathcad

Attachments

• filee..jpg
    filee..jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 415

Here are the equations that you wrote:

LOOP 1: (I1 - I2)R2 + R4(I1 - I2) = E1

LOOP 2: I2*R3 + R2(I2 - I1) - J1 = 0

LOOP 3: I3*R1 + R4(I3 - I1) + J1 = -E2

First, note that J1 is a current, not a voltage. So it shouldn't appear alone in a voltage equation; the units don't match.

In your first equation, the two currents passing through R4 should be I1 and I3.

In your second equation, you should have a variable for the VOLTAGE across the current source J1. (Perhaps call it EJ1. It is an unknown that can be solved for).

Since an additional unknown is introduced (EJ1), an additional equation is required. In this case it is the fact that J1 = I3 - I2.

I1=1/4 I2=-3/4 I3=1/4 Ej1=-23/4?

builder_user said:
EJ1=-2
i1=4
i2=3
i3=1?

Nope.:frown:

Try these equations in Mathcad:

E1 - (I1 - I2)*R2 - (I1 - I3)*R4 = 0

(-I2 + I1)*R2 - I2*R3 - EJ1 = 0

-E2 - (I3 - I1)*R4 + EJ1 - I3*R1 = 0

I3 - I2 = J1

15/8 1/2 3/2 35/8

EJ1 direction is opposite to the direction of J1?

Here's a hint. I1 should be 1A.

gneill said:
Here's a hint. I1 should be 1A.

Strange.Mathcad can't make mistakes.

But I can.I found mistakes in the equatations.
New result is ------ 1 -3/8 5/8 29/4

And so U3 is 3/8 V?

Last edited:

-3/8 V. Watch the sign of the current. :smile:

Now, on to the equivalent resistance!

How can be voltage less than zero?

builder_user said:
How can be voltage less than zero?

The voltage you measure depends upon your reference point. Here I'm assuming that you want the voltage at point a, on the schematic diagram, with respect to point b. Point a is at a lower potential than point b. If you were to put a voltmeter across a-b with the voltmeter's ground lead connected to point b, then you would read a negative voltage.

gneill said:
The voltage you measure depends upon your reference point. Here I'm assuming that you want the voltage at point a, on the schematic diagram, with respect to point b. Point a is at a lower potential than point b. If you were to put a voltmeter across a-b with the voltmeter's ground lead connected to point b, then you would read a negative voltage.

I see.So what's the next step?

The next step is to determine the Thevenin resistance. That would be the resistance of the network from the point of view of a-b with all sources suppressed. Replace all voltage sources with short circuits, and remove all current sources.

gneill said:
Replace all voltage sources with short circuits.

Replace...Like this?

Attachments

• exp.JPG
    exp.JPG
    5.5 KB · Views: 365

More like this:

Attachments

• Supp.jpg
    Supp.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 341

The new circuit is pic.1 or pic.2?I think there're not differences between them.

Attachments

• news.JPG
    news.JPG
    5 KB · Views: 323
  • scheme3.JPG
    scheme3.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:

Pic 2. is your new circuit. E1 was short-circuited (replaced with a wire). There is a significant difference between the circuits due to this short-circuit. Can you spot what it is?

there is no resistance and no voltage drop across the short?
Is there a current?

Last edited:

Correct. So R2 and R4 are shorted out; they can be removed, leaving only the shorting wire.

The new circuit is pic.1

What do I need to do with this two branches?OH!It's not R2.It's R3

Attachments

• scheme3.JPG
    scheme3.JPG
    5.2 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:

One of the wires is redundant. You can't have less resistance than no resistance!
Remove one of them and solve for the net resistance across a-b.

Last edited:

Rn=(R1*R3)/(R3+R1)

And new circuit is

Attachments

• tt.JPG
    tt.JPG
    5.5 KB · Views: 322

Okay. Now put this Thevenin resistance in series with the Thevenin voltage source that you calculated before. That should be your final circuit, the Thevenin Equivalent for the original.

The final circuit is...
E=U=1.6 V
Rn=0.875 Ohms

Attachments

• final.JPG
    final.JPG
    4 KB · Views: 309
Last edited: