Job prospect,s for a PhD in the US, career orientation, and life in general.

In summary, the conversation was about the speaker's dilemma of choosing between a research job and a job in industry, and the financial implications of pursuing a PhD in France versus the US. The speaker also inquired about the possibility of switching from an engineering MSc to a physics PhD and the potential career opportunities and salaries in private companies for those with a background in physics or math. The summary ends with the speaker thanking the listener for their help and apologizing for any mistakes in their English.
Patioub
Hello everybody.

I am currently in a French engineering school, one of the best. The hard part was getting into it; now I am pretty assured to graduate and I just have to follow some very basic courses.

I could be perfectly happy, except...I'm not really sure I want to be an engineer.

Actually, I face quite a difficult choice (which I am sure much of you have been confronted to) : I want to be useful, but I also want to earn money.

Let me rephrase it : a research job seems interesting, challenging and most of all useful; the goal is to make human knowledge progress, what a thrill.

But I have to be realistic though : the useful part is likely not to be very satisfying and kind of disappointing. The chances of me making something significant (and that could not have been made by others) are quite slim.
Plus I am not particularilly interested in teaching (neither are some researchers, I believe) and quite a stranger to the academic world (the French educational system is made in such way that the only time I have set a foot in a university have been for optional fundamental physics courses. And yet I am in one of the best scientific program). Additionally I'd like to (at least) experience some normal work conditions (for example, a place wherein there are more than 10% girls...I may be young and foolish but true love/love whatsoever is not going to find itself).

I could of course cope with these problem. But if I am not that useful for mankind, why bother getting a phd and having a lower salary. I could find plenty of interesting jobs in industry, or even strategy/finance/audit.
But then I think I would feel like I am not even trying and that I kind of sell my soul to the devil.

My main question is about the money part. In France, I would face 2 problems if I were to make a phd :
-- PhD is ******** there and it is practically not recognized. I would almost do better on the job market with my MSc (well, my Diplôme d'Ingénieur) alone than with MSc+PhD.
-- The only thing worth getting a French phd is research. But when I could go with a 40k€ (quite good in France) (starting) salary in industry (or a lot higher if I were to become a quant or something in that fashion), I would get pretty much half of it doing an academical job (even if I were to get past the post-doc parts).

My first question : Is research that much (financially) depreciated in the US ?

Before you answer it, and because, from gossips I have heard, it may be not that bad in the US, I am considering getting an American research job.
But again, I don't really want to do research in Engineering : I am not interested in how to optimize wide-band antennas, but I am interested in why do fast-spinning stars do not emit any magnetic field.

Despite my mainly Engineering education, I do have some good knowledge in both math and physics (in France you have 2 years in undergrad doing practically nothing but math and physics).
I am also currently following additional courses for a bachelor (une licence) in fundamental physics (basically, special relativity and quantum mechanics).
With my school, I have the possibility of getting a double degree in engineering with several Us universities.

Second question : Is it possible to go from an Engineering Msc to a physics, math... PhD ?

I am starting to consider getting a phd in a physics field (because it is one of my main interests) and then, if I am to discover that research is really not the career I want to follow, getting a job in consulting firms (the BCG likes doctors and they offer quite interesting jobs). I may lost a few years (I could do it just after graduating from my school) but at least I would have taste research.

Third question : What are the possibilities of getting an industry/service job after a phd ? If you do so, are you stuck in a technical job, or have you a chance to access managerial position ? (as they teach me in my school, un ingénieur is before anything a manager.)
What are the salaries you can expect, what are the fields (of physics/math) that are the sexier for private companies ?

Fourth question : If you had the courage to read thorough my post, do you have any advice or insight ?

I thank you deeply for reading this message and even more for helping me figure out what I will do with my life.
Please excuse me if I hurted English language in any way. As you might have guessed, it is not my mother tongue.

Physics news on Phys.org
I really don't know about the first question. You're right, there are rumors around and there is pessimism from some people - but not everyone. I think we can assume that research labs won't be swimming in money, but that's no reason to be totally disillusioned with the future.

Second question -The question of switching into physics from a different field comes up a lot. Here's a thread with good information about that:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

Third question - I think it's safe to say that you won't starve with a PhD in physics. There are many threads about this too.

Fourth question - you seem to have a good head on your shoulders :smile:!

1. What are the job prospects for a PhD in the US?

The job prospects for a PhD in the US can vary depending on the field of study. Generally, PhD holders have a high demand in academia, research institutions, and the private sector. However, it is important to note that competition for these positions can be fierce. It is also important to have a strong network and continuously update skills to increase job prospects.

2. How can a PhD student orient their career?

There are several ways a PhD student can orient their career. One way is to identify their strengths and interests and seek out opportunities that align with them. Another way is to network with professionals in their field and gain insights into different career paths. Additionally, attending conferences and workshops related to their field can also provide valuable information and connections for career orientation.

3. What are some essential skills for a successful PhD career?

Some essential skills for a successful PhD career include strong research and analytical skills, critical thinking, problem-solving, communication, and time management. Additionally, adaptability, collaboration, and the ability to continuously learn and adapt to new technologies and techniques are also important in today's rapidly changing job market.

4. What is the work-life balance like for a PhD student?

The work-life balance for a PhD student can be challenging. It often requires long hours of research, writing, and studying, which can take a toll on personal and social life. However, it is important for PhD students to prioritize self-care and make time for hobbies and activities outside of their studies to maintain a healthy work-life balance.

5. How can a PhD student manage stress and maintain mental well-being?

PhD students can manage stress and maintain mental well-being by setting realistic expectations for themselves, taking breaks, and seeking support from peers, mentors, and mental health professionals when needed. Additionally, practicing self-care activities such as exercise, mindfulness, and hobbies can also help in managing stress and promoting overall well-being.