Bouyancy, capillary action. HELP PLEASE

In summary, the experiment involves testing how a rounded bowl with a flat bottom and a hole in the center sinks faster as weight is added to it when placed on still water. This is due to the increased displacement of water and the resulting greater buoyant force acting upwards. The water coming up through the hole is caused by the difference in water pressure at different depths. To fully understand this phenomenon, knowledge of Archimedes' principle and water pressure is needed.
newmessiah

Homework Statement

so i have an to do an EEI for an assignment due this friday. My experiment involves me putting a rounded bowl with a flat bottom and a hole in the center on the bottom onto some still water and testing how the bowl sinks faster as weight is added to the bowl. The water comes up through the hole in the bottom of the bowl, filling it from the bottom, faster as i add more weight. i am assuming this is because i am displacing more water as weight is added so there will be a greater buoyant force acting upwards but i don't fully understand why the water is coming up through the hole. is the buoyant force spread equally along the whole bottom of the bowl making it come through the hole because there is nothing solid to stop it from coming upwards (can i work out how many Newtons of force are making the water come up through the hole, if i measure the area of the bottom of the bowl/the volume of displaced water etc.)
are there any other physics concepts i need to know other than Archimedes' principle to fully understand this phenomenon?...any background theory information will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Homework Equations

buoyant force = weight of fluid displaced

Physics news on Phys.org
Bowl + Hole in bottom = Sinking Bowl

Welcome to Physics Forums newmessiah :smile:

Well, the water pressure increases with depth. The hole is at some depth, below the top surface of the water. Something along those lines should probably come into your explanation.

thanks for that!
do you know if the total bouyant force would be spread equally over the base of the bowl?

newmessiah said:
do you know if the total bouyant force would be spread equally over the base of the bowl?
Well, the buoyant force comes from the pressure being different at different water depths (higher pressure at deeper depths). Is the base of the bowl all at the same depth?

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or fully submerged in it. This force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

2. How does an object's shape affect its buoyancy?

The shape of an object can affect its buoyancy because it determines the amount of fluid it displaces. A larger volume of fluid displaced results in a greater buoyant force, while a smaller volume results in a smaller buoyant force.

3. What is capillary action?

Capillary action is the ability of a liquid to flow against gravity in a narrow space, such as a thin tube or between two closely placed surfaces. This is due to the cohesive and adhesive forces between the liquid molecules and the surface of the material.

4. How does capillary action play a role in plants?

In plants, capillary action helps to transport water and nutrients from the roots to the rest of the plant. The tiny tubes in the plant, called xylem, use capillary action to pull water up from the roots and distribute it to the leaves and other parts of the plant.

5. Can buoyancy and capillary action be observed in everyday life?

Yes, buoyancy and capillary action can be observed in many everyday situations. For example, when a boat floats on water, it is experiencing buoyancy. And when you dip a paper towel in water and see the water climb up the towel, that is capillary action in action.