Ansys APDL Structural Analysis: Comparing Element Types for Max. Stress

In summary, the conversation discusses using ANSYS APDL for structural analysis of honeycomb light weight structures and the possibility of meshing and comparing different element types (solid, shell, and beam) with the same 3D model. It is determined that solid elements require 3-D geometry, shell elements require surface geometries, and beam elements require lines. The conversation also mentions the student version of ANSYS being limited in terms of mesh elements and provides a link to tutorials. It is concluded that the first picture can be meshed with solid elements, but the second picture is not suitable for shell elements.
Damian123
Hello,

I'm doing structural analysis of honeycomb light weight structures in ansys apdl.. is it possible to mesh and compare element types such as solid, shell and beam elements with respect to max.stress with the same 3D model??

Engineering news on Phys.org
No it is not possible. Solid elements require 3-D geometry, shell elements require surface geometries in 3-d space (it might be possible to approximate your honeycomb with surfaces), Beam elements require lines (2-D geometry in 3-D space).

I think you're going to need different geometries for each element type.

Thank you for your reply mech engineer.. can u give some examples for it.. so that i can understand more clearly..

like pics, sites r journals.. I am totally new to ansys apdl

Let me b clear.. Is it possible to mesh first picture with solid elements, and second picture model with shell elements.. it's hollow inside

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 599
  • Honeycomb surface.JPG
    Honeycomb surface.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 715
The solid model in the first picture can be meshed, although it's going to take a pretty dense mesh for accurate mechanical properties. It could be the student version of ANSYS will not provide enough mesh elements for what you're hoping to achieve (I think the student vesion is limited to something like 200,000 nodes).

The second picture is not going to work, one because it isn't the correct format for shell elements, and second because its geometry is significantly different than the first model. If you really want to use shell elements, you need to define a surface plane for evey side in the honeycomb of the first picture.

Here is a link to some simple ANSYS tutorials so that you can see what you're getting yourself into: http://www.mece.uAlberta.ca/tutorials/ansys/

1. What is Ansys APDL Structural Analysis?

Ansys APDL Structural Analysis is a software tool used for performing structural analysis on various engineering designs. It uses the finite element method to simulate and predict the behavior of structures under different loading and environmental conditions.

2. Why is it important to compare element types for maximum stress in Ansys APDL Structural Analysis?

Comparing element types for maximum stress allows engineers to determine the most suitable element type for a specific design, ensuring accurate and reliable results. It also helps in optimizing the design by identifying areas of high stress concentration.

3. What are the different element types available in Ansys APDL Structural Analysis?

Ansys APDL Structural Analysis offers a variety of element types, including beam, shell, solid, and specialized elements such as truss, link, and connectors. Each type has its own unique properties and is used for different types of structures and loading conditions.

4. How does Ansys APDL Structural Analysis determine maximum stress?

Ansys APDL Structural Analysis uses the finite element method to discretize the structure into smaller elements, applying the governing equations to each element. The software then calculates the stress at each element's nodes and interpolates to determine the maximum stress value in the structure.

5. Can Ansys APDL Structural Analysis be used for different materials?

Yes, Ansys APDL Structural Analysis supports a wide range of materials, including metals, plastics, composites, and other specialized materials. It also allows users to define custom material properties for specific analysis needs.