Should I Ask for Paid Vacation When Starting a New Job?

• Thread starter Ronnin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary: The new company seems to be understanding of your prior obligation and may be open to the idea of granting you a paid vacation during your first few weeks of employment. However, it is important to check their policy on vacation accrual and make sure you are not asking for more than you are entitled to. Ultimately, it is up to you to weigh the potential hit to your income against the value of starting off on a good note with your new employer. In summary, the speaker has been working at their current employer for a year but has been looking for other job opportunities. They were recently offered a better position at a larger company with more money and bonuses. However, they have a previously booked and paid for vacation during their first week of employment. They
Ronnin
I have been working at my current employer for about a year. About 9 months into the job things had changed and I decided that this was not the right place for me long term. So for I've been on and off looking around for other employment and finally something broke for me. I was given a job offer for a better position, larger company, more money, plus possible bonuses. Unfortunatly, I have vacation already booked and paid for beginning the week of Labor Day. I have already informed the new company of this prior obligation and they are very understanding regarding the time off. My question is whether I should press to make it a paid vacation or take the hit to my income (I can absorb it but honestly would rather not). I have never had to broach this topic before when changing jobs so I honestly don't know how reasonable it is to ask for the paid week. This is a great opportunity for me and would not want to ask for something that would just seem way off base. Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you already working at your new job, or are you going to start right after your vacation?

No, I would work 2 weeks then take the week off.

Many places have policy about how long you must work before you can take a vacation (often not before your probation ends), as well as at what rate you can accrue vacation days (often a fraction of a day per time-period, such as 1.25 days accrual per pay period).

You could ask what their policy is regarding vacations, and yes you could ask if, since it is already booked, you could use a week's vacation allotment in advance. But of course you're not asking for this as extra time, right? You're simply asking for part of your normal vacation time (probably 2 weeks per year) to be used right away.

It is not unreasonable to ask.

I understand that job switching can be a daunting and complex process. It sounds like you have already put a lot of thought and effort into finding a new opportunity that aligns with your long-term goals. Congratulations on receiving a job offer that offers a better position, larger company, and more money!

Regarding your question about whether to ask for a paid vacation during your transition, my advice would be to have an open and honest conversation with your new employer. It is perfectly reasonable to ask for a paid vacation, especially if you have already informed them of your prior obligation and they are understanding of it. It is important to communicate your needs and expectations, but also be open to any compromises that may be offered.

In terms of whether it is "off base" to ask for a paid week, it ultimately depends on the company's policies and their budget. It may also depend on the timing of your vacation and how it may impact your training and onboarding process. If you have a good understanding of the company's culture and values, you may be able to gauge how reasonable your request may be.

Overall, my advice would be to approach the conversation with professionalism and gratitude for the opportunity. If the company truly values you as a candidate, they may be willing to accommodate your request. However, be prepared for the possibility that they may not be able to offer a paid vacation, and be willing to negotiate or find alternative solutions. Good luck with your new job and your upcoming vacation!

1. How do I know if it's time for me to switch jobs?

There are a few signs that could indicate it's time for a job switch. These include feeling unchallenged or bored in your current role, lack of growth opportunities, toxic work environment, and dissatisfaction with your job duties or salary. It's important to assess your overall job satisfaction and consider if a new job could offer more fulfillment.

2. What should I consider before making a job switch?

Before deciding to switch jobs, it's important to consider your reasons for wanting to switch, your long-term career goals, the potential salary and benefits of the new job, and the company culture and values. You should also assess any potential risks or challenges that may come with leaving your current job.

3. How do I prepare for a job switch?

Preparing for a job switch involves updating your resume and LinkedIn profile, networking with professionals in your desired industry, and researching potential employers. It's also important to gather any necessary materials, such as letters of recommendation or work samples, and to practice for job interviews.

4. How do I handle the transition between jobs?

The transition between jobs can be challenging, but there are a few ways to make it smoother. These include giving your current employer ample notice, tying up loose ends and completing any remaining projects, and maintaining a positive and professional attitude. It's also important to stay in touch with colleagues and maintain your professional network.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when switching jobs?

One common mistake when switching jobs is not carefully considering the potential risks and challenges. It's also important to avoid badmouthing your current employer or burning bridges. Another mistake is accepting a new job solely for a higher salary, without considering other important factors such as job satisfaction and growth opportunities. It's also important to carefully read and understand your new job offer and any contracts before accepting.