How can I create polar plots of spherical harmonics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the method for drawing polar plots of spherical harmonics, with an example for n=2, l=1, m=0 state. The speaker suggests drawing lines representing different values of theta and placing points along these lines at a distance given by cos^2 \theta. This method reveals a vertical dumbell shape for 2p_z orbital and spherical symmetry for s-orbitals. The speaker also mentions a website for visualizing these plots in 3D.
thedy
Hi,
I have been looking for explanation,how to draw angular part of wave function and I have found in physicsforums.com/archive answer to my question by user Gokul43201.
He posted this:
The trick is in being able to draw polar plots roughly, from the spherical harmonics.

Consider the state, n=2, l=1, m=0
The polar part of the wavefunction is given by :
|Y_1^0|^2 = \frac{3}{4 \pi} cos^2 \theta

Ignoring the constant term, the functional behavior is cos ^2 \theta , which we want to plot against \theta

Let's draw the 2D version of this plot (or you can simply graph this using Mathematica or a calculator that can do polar plots). Draw the X (theta = 90, -90) and Z (theta = 0, 180) axes, and draw a large number of lines, all passing through the origin - like the spokes on a bicycle wheel. These lines represent the different values of theta. Now on each line, place a point at a distance (from the origin) given by cos^2 \theta . Finally, join all these points, neighbor to neighbor. Remember, the X-axis represents \theta = 90 and the Z axis represents \theta = 0

At \theta =90,~ cos^2 \theta = 0. So, the points along the horizontal spokes are at the origin. At \theta increases, or decreases, cos ^2\theta increases till it reaches maxima at \theta = 0, 180 . So, for spokes above and below the X-axis, the points move farther and farther out, reaching a maximum at the +/-Z-axis. Join these points and you'll find it looks like a vertical dumbell oriented along the Z-axis. So, clearly this is the 2p_z orbital. While this is not all of it (you must now combine the radial part with the polar part), and the best way involves using some 3D plot software, I can't really do that here.

For the s-orbitals, the total wavefunction is something like |\psi _n(r, \theta \phi)|^2 ~=~A r^{2n}e^{-2r/na_0} . Since these orbitals have no polar (\theta) or azimuthal (\phi) dependence, they are spherically symmetric, and all the "equipotential" surfaces are spheres.

If this was too confusing, I'll try and attach a picture, when I find a little more time.

PS : Not more clever...maybe a little more experienced, that's all ! :biggrin:

And I would like to request,if somebody could post some picture to this answer,because I don t know to imagine this...
Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the angular part of a wave function?

The angular part of a wave function describes the spatial orientation of a particle or system. It is a mathematical function that represents the probability of finding a particle at a particular angle or direction in space.

2. How is the angular part of a wave function calculated?

The angular part of a wave function is calculated using spherical harmonics, which are a set of solutions to the angular component of the Schrödinger equation in quantum mechanics. The specific form of the wave function depends on the system and its properties.

3. What is the significance of the angular part of a wave function?

The angular part of a wave function is important because it provides information about the spatial distribution of a particle or system. It can also reveal symmetries and patterns in the system, which can help in understanding its behavior and properties.

4. How does the angular part of a wave function relate to the total wave function?

The total wave function is the product of the angular part and the radial part of the wave function. This means that the angular part and the radial part are dependent on each other and cannot be separated. The total wave function describes the complete quantum state of a particle or system.

5. Can the angular part of a wave function change over time?

Yes, the angular part of a wave function can change over time if the system is in a state of superposition. In quantum mechanics, a system can exist in multiple states simultaneously, and the angular part of the wave function will change accordingly. This phenomenon is known as wave function collapse, and it is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.