What is the Calculation for Current in a Circuit with Two Sources of EMF?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a circuit that has two sources of EMF. The circuit includes resistors and the goal is to calculate the magnitude of the current. One person suggests applying the loop rule and using one of the EMF sources as a starting point. After some discussion about notation, they conclude that the EMF sources should be distinguished from actual voltage across the source in a circuit.
joshanders_84
I have problem with a circuit. It has two sources of emf, and I'm not sure how to calculate the magnitued of the current in the circuit due to this. Here's what the circuit looks like (R's are resistors, *'s are just for spacing):

|----------+|1|------|
|*************** |
R = 5 Ohms********R = 9 Ohms
|*************** |
|----------+|2|------|

EMF source 1 has resistance: 1.6 Ohm, and is 16 V
EMF source 2 has resistance: 1.4 Ohm, and is 8 V

I tried calculating them both and subtracting one from the other, but I don't know. I know the top one is stronger, so the current is traveling in a counter clockwise manner, but don't know the technique when there are two emf sources for solving the magnitude of the current. Thanks!
Josh

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Treat the EMF sources and their resistances as separate components and apply the loop rule from any point on the circuit (I suggest using one of the EMF sources). Remember the current is constant throughout the system:

[tex]16V - IR_1 - IR_2 - 8V - IR_3 - IR_4 = 0[/tex]

I applied the law counterclockwise starting from EMF 1 but like I said you could start from anywhere. Solving for I you obtain the familiar

[tex]I = \frac{\varepsilon_1 - \varepsilon_2}{R_1+R_2+R_3+R_4}[/tex] which looks a lot like

[tex]I = \frac {\sum \varepsilon}{\sum R}[/tex]

Hope this helps. Sorry but I don't know the LaTeX for that pretty little E my physics book uses so I figured lowercase epsilon suffices :)

Last edited by a moderator:
vsage said:
Hope this helps. Sorry but I don't know the LaTeX for that pretty little E my physics book uses so I figured lowercase epsilon suffices :)

It's still an epsilon and you use \varepsilon.

Oh I see...the notation for the EMF's of the sources: try the \mathcal function--it gives you uppercase scripted characters, should you need them:

[tex] \mathcal{E} [/tex]

Sometimes for source voltages we just write [itex] V_s [/itex] instead. But since these are not ideal sources, it's good to distinguish between the EMF, which is defined as the potential difference between the two source terminals when no load is connected, vs. the actual voltage across the source when in this series circuit. If you already knew all of this...sorry to bore you to tears.

I like these scripted letters...hmm...let's see...Laplace Transform:
[tex] \mathcal{L} \{f(t)\} [/tex]

it's cool... :biggrin:

I see. Thanks for the info on that. Post has been edited.

1. What is a circuit with 2 sources of emf?

A circuit with 2 sources of emf (electromotive force) is a circuit that contains two different sources of energy, such as batteries or generators. These sources provide the necessary voltage for the circuit to operate.

2. How does a circuit with 2 sources of emf work?

In a circuit with 2 sources of emf, the two sources are connected in series or parallel. The total voltage in the circuit is the sum of the individual voltages from each source. This allows for a greater voltage output and can power more complex circuits.

3. What are the advantages of using a circuit with 2 sources of emf?

The main advantage of using a circuit with 2 sources of emf is the increased voltage output, which allows for more powerful and complex circuits. Additionally, having two sources provides redundancy and can prevent a complete loss of power if one source fails.

4. Can a circuit with 2 sources of emf be used for renewable energy?

Yes, a circuit with 2 sources of emf can be used for renewable energy sources such as solar panels or wind turbines. These sources can be connected with a traditional battery source to create a more stable and reliable power supply.

5. What are some potential challenges when working with a circuit with 2 sources of emf?

One potential challenge is ensuring that the two sources are connected properly and have the same voltage output. If there is a difference in voltage, it can cause imbalances in the circuit and potentially damage the components. Another challenge is managing the increased voltage output, which may require additional safety measures.