Projects/activities for someone who is interested in electrical engineering?

In summary, if you're interested in getting into Electrical Engineering but still have 1-2 years to go, there are some activities and projects you can do to get started. One suggestion is to peruse hobby forums, such as the one where a fellow built his own stereo and shared his progress. Another idea is to build a battery charger using a salvaged washing machine motor and car alternator, which will teach you about 3 phase generators and single phase motors. This can also provide a 30 amp battery charger at a low cost.
theclock54
I'm interested in going into the field of Electrical Engineering, but still have around 1 or 2 years. What are some activities/projects I can do to get my feet wet with electrical engineering? Any advice, tips would be greatly appreciated. Just something to get me started, and to keep me interested.

Thank you for your time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
peruse the hobby forums.

here's one , a fellow working on is associate's degree built himself a stereo and had great fun. He posted pictures of his progress.
http://www.discovercircuits.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7744&page=1

you can have great quality sound for under $50.

or build yourself a battery charger from salvaged washing machine motor and car alternator - you'll learn about 3 phase generators and single phase motors and have a 30 amp battery charger for almost free - go out and price one of those !

1. What are some beginner projects for someone interested in electrical engineering?

Some beginner projects for someone interested in electrical engineering include building a simple circuit, creating a basic electric motor, or designing a simple electronic device like a doorbell or LED light. These projects can help you learn the fundamentals of electrical engineering, including circuit design, component selection, and troubleshooting.

2. What are some advanced projects for someone interested in electrical engineering?

Some advanced projects for someone interested in electrical engineering include building a programmable logic controller (PLC), designing a renewable energy system, or creating a robotics project. These projects require a deeper understanding of electrical engineering principles and can help you develop skills in programming, automation, and advanced circuit design.

3. How can I improve my skills in electrical engineering through projects?

The best way to improve your skills in electrical engineering through projects is to continuously challenge yourself with new and complex projects. Start with simple projects and gradually increase the difficulty level. Also, try to incorporate new technologies and techniques into your projects to expand your knowledge and skills.

4. Can I do projects in electrical engineering without a formal education?

Yes, it is possible to do projects in electrical engineering without a formal education. With the abundance of online resources and tutorials, you can learn the necessary skills and knowledge to complete projects on your own. However, a formal education can provide a more structured and comprehensive understanding of electrical engineering principles, so it may be beneficial in the long run.

5. How can I find project ideas and resources for electrical engineering?

You can find project ideas and resources for electrical engineering through online communities, forums, and websites dedicated to the field. Additionally, many universities and organizations offer open-source project ideas and resources for electrical engineering. You can also attend workshops, seminars, and conferences to network with other engineers and gain inspiration for new projects.