Simple harmonic motion of a pendulum

In summary: I hope you are not so misguided as to think that the negative of a sine function is the cosine function!)In summary, To find the phase difference between two pendulums, you need to use the equations θ(t)=\Thetasin(ωt+\phi) and θ(t)=\Thetasin(\phi), and the initial conditions given in the problem. If the initial phase is not specified, you can assume it to be either 0 or π. Additionally, you can choose the direction of the initial velocity to determine whether the motion is described by a positive or negative sine function.
wh00pwh00p

Homework Statement

I need to find the phase difference between two pendulums. My problem is that I don;t seem to have enough information to calculate the phase for the second pendulum (I have already calculated the phase for the first).

The pendulum is 0.35m long, and is at 0.00rad at t=0. (the question also states that the pendulum IS swinging). I need to find the phase at 10s

Homework Equations

θ(t)=[itex]\Theta[/itex]sin(ωt+[itex]\phi[/itex])

θ(t)=[itex]\Theta[/itex]sin([itex]\phi[/itex])

phase = ωt+[itex]\phi[/itex]

ω=[itex]\sqrt{g/l}[/itex]

[itex]\phi[/itex]=arcsin(θ(t)/[itex]\Theta[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

So as I mentioned, I have calculated the phase of the first pendulum. But I can't seem to calculate the phase of the second one.

I thought there might have been a way to calculate [itex]\Theta[/itex] and then calculate [itex]\phi[/itex] using that value but can't seem to figure out exactly how!

HELP! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
wh00pwh00p said:

Homework Statement

I need to find the phase difference between two pendulums. My problem is that I don;t seem to have enough information to calculate the phase for the second pendulum (I have already calculated the phase for the first).

The pendulum is 0.35m long, and is at 0.00rad at t=0. (the question also states that the pendulum IS swinging). I need to find the phase at 10s

Homework Equations

θ(t)=[itex]\Theta[/itex]sin(ωt+[itex]\phi[/itex])

θ(t)=[itex]\Theta[/itex]sin([itex]\phi[/itex])

phase = ωt+[itex]\phi[/itex]

ω=[itex]\sqrt{g/l}[/itex]

[itex]\phi[/itex]=arcsin(θ(t)/[itex]\Theta[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

So as I mentioned, I have calculated the phase of the first pendulum. But I can't seem to calculate the phase of the second one.

I thought there might have been a way to calculate [itex]\Theta[/itex] and then calculate [itex]\phi[/itex] using that value but can't seem to figure out exactly how!

HELP! :)

Welcome to PF,

You know that [itex]\phi[/itex] is either 0 or π, because this is given (implicitly) in the problem. If, at t = 0, the angular position of the pendulum is 0, then you have:

[tex] \theta(0) = \Theta \sin(0 + \phi) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow \sin(\phi) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow \phi = 0~~\text{or}~~\pi [/tex]

assuming the initial phase is specified to be an angle somewhere in the interval [0, 2π).

So we have either:

[tex] \theta(t) = \Theta \sin(\omega t ) [/tex]
[tex] \theta(t) = \Theta \sin(\omega t + \pi ) = -\Theta \sin(\omega t ) [/tex]

It should be pretty intuitive to you that the motion in this case would be described by a pure sine function (with no phase offset). Think about what sin(x) does at x = 0: it is crossing the zero point (the point midway between the maximum and minimum values of the oscillation), and it is doing so with a derivative that is maximally positive. In other words, if the motion is described by a sine function, then at t = 0 the pendulum is crossing the midpoint with maximum positive speed. Now look at a plot of -sin(x). It's the same, except that the slope is maximally negative at x = 0 instead of maximally positive. So if the motion is described by the negative of a sine function, then at t = 0 the pendulum is crossing the midpoint with maximum negative speed. So, to choose between the two, you need another initial condition, namely the direction of the initial velocity (you already know that its magnitude must be equal to the max speed).

I suspect that you have the freedom to choose which direction is positive and which is negative, in which case you could pick either +sin(ωt) or -sin(ωt).

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This results in a repetitive back-and-forth motion around a central point.

What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point so that it can swing freely back and forth under the influence of gravity. It is commonly used in clocks and other timekeeping devices.

What factors affect the period of a pendulum's oscillation?

The period of a pendulum's oscillation is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the weight, and the acceleration due to gravity. The period can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the relationship between amplitude and frequency in simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude of a simple harmonic motion is the maximum displacement from equilibrium, while the frequency is the number of oscillations per unit time. The two are inversely proportional, meaning that as the amplitude increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa.

How does air resistance affect a pendulum's motion?

Air resistance can act as a damping force on a pendulum, reducing its amplitude and causing it to eventually come to a stop. This is because the air resistance exerts a force in the opposite direction of the pendulum's motion, dissipating its energy. In a vacuum, a pendulum would continue to oscillate indefinitely with the same amplitude.