Job prospects for physics students

In summary, the conversation discusses the job prospects for physics students at both the undergraduate and graduate level. The person is having trouble finding trustworthy information, as some sources claim difficulty in finding jobs while others list physics as one of the best paying bachelor's degrees. The person clarifies that they are not solely focused on making money, but rather ensuring job opportunities after college. They also mention their goal of obtaining a Master's degree and their realization that it may not be feasible, but they still want to ensure there is work available.
Mhorton91
Hey guys, I'm sure this has been covered somewhere on the forum before, but I searched several times and could not find the thread(s), so I'm asking again.

How do the job prospects look for physics students, at both the undergraduate, and the graduate level. I'm having a hard time finding solid information on the subject, one site will be people talking about how they can't find a job after their schooling, but then the next site will be like this one (http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/degrees.asp) which lists a physics undergraduate program in it's list of best paying bachelors' degrees...so I'm having trouble deciding what information I can trust.

Now, I don't want people to think my main concern is making money, because that's not it. I don't care about being "rich" or anything, I'm just making sure I'll be able to find work after college. My goal is at least a M.S, since I think everyone needs a "dream job" and as such, I have mine. However, since it's unlikely to happen, I just need to know that there is work out there.

Thanks for your time,
Marshall H.

Physics news on Phys.org
This can be locked/deleted...I just saw the thread like 2 down from this one which is basically what I was looking for, I swear it wasn't there at first lol.

1. What types of jobs can physics students pursue?

Physics students can pursue a variety of careers in fields such as research, engineering, data analysis, teaching, and technology. Some common job titles include physicist, aerospace engineer, data analyst, and high school physics teacher.

2. Are there job opportunities for physics students outside of academia?

Yes, there are job opportunities for physics students outside of academia. Many industries, such as aerospace, energy, and healthcare, rely on the expertise of physicists for research, development, and innovation.

3. What skills do physics students develop that are valuable in the job market?

Physics students develop strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a deep understanding of mathematics and the scientific method. They also gain hands-on experience with laboratory equipment and computer software, which are valuable skills in many industries.

4. What is the job outlook for physics students?

The job outlook for physics students is positive, with a projected growth rate of 7% from 2019-2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This is faster than the average for all occupations, and there is a high demand for skilled physicists in various industries.

5. Are there opportunities for advancement in physics careers?

Yes, there are opportunities for advancement in physics careers. With experience and additional education, physics students can advance to higher positions such as research director, project manager, or department head. They may also have the opportunity to lead their own research projects or teams.