Need help with physics concept please

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of acceleration on an inclined plane and the confusion around when the angle of inclination is increasing. The suggestion is made to draw a tangent to the curve at a point of interest to determine the steepness of the incline. It is also mentioned that a typical rounded weathered hill is steepest at the halfway point with incline decreasing above and below. The conversation concludes with a request for a diagram for reference.
Temper888
Hey Guys,

I was doing physics questions. It was written that in the absence of friction, the acceleration of any object sliding down an inclined plane is given by:a=gsinθ. As the skier skis down the curved hill, the angle of inclination is increasing, so the acceleration of the skier is increasing. What I cannot figure out is how to know when the angle of inclination is increasing. For instance, I thought angle of inclination should increase while going up an incline. Could you please say me if there is a method of figuring out how a certain way(up or down) the incline leads to an increase or decrease in angle of inclination?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It would make sense that the angle is question is the angle between the angle of the hill and a line parallel to the ground at the height you started at.

Temper888 said:
As the skier skis down the curved hill, the angle of inclination is increasing, so the acceleration of the skier is increasing.
This is meaningless without reference to a diagram. Because every hill has a region where incline increases, and a region where it decreases. So if you didn't understand before reading this, you will be none the wiser after reading it. :frown:

What I cannot figure out is how to know when the angle of inclination is increasing.
Draw a tangent to the curve at your point of interest, let's call that point A. If the tangent at point A is more vertical than that at another point, then point A is on a steeper incline. If it's on a steeper incline then it will take more effort to climb up, but will be more thrilling to slide down.

For instance, I thought angle of inclination should increase while going up an incline.
Meaningless, unless the profile of your hill asymptotically approaches the vertical and has a height of infinity.

A typical rounded weathered hill is steepest about halfway up, that's where inclination is greatest. Above and below this inclination steadily decreases, and eventually it levels out to zero inclination at the flat summit and also away from the base.

Someone please draw a hill for reference ...

I really am getting confused with my mind and NascentOxygen's post

for reaching out for help with this physics concept. The acceleration of an object sliding down an inclined plane is affected by the angle of inclination, also known as the slope or steepness of the incline. In order to determine when the angle of inclination is increasing, you can use the concept of trigonometry. The angle of inclination is measured with respect to the horizontal surface, so as the skier skis down the curved hill, the angle of inclination is increasing because the skier is moving closer to a vertical position. In other words, the angle of inclination is increasing as the slope becomes steeper. You can also use a protractor or inclinometer to measure the angle of inclination at different points along the curved hill to see how it changes. I hope this helps clarify the concept for you. Keep up the good work with your physics questions!

What is the concept of physics?

The concept of physics is the study of matter, energy, and the interactions between them. It involves understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world and using mathematical equations to describe and predict the behavior of physical systems.

Why do I need help with physics concepts?

Physics can be a challenging subject for many people, as it requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and critical thinking skills. Additionally, some physics concepts may be counterintuitive and difficult to grasp without proper guidance and explanation.

How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts?

There are several ways to improve your understanding of physics concepts, including practicing problems, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, using online resources and simulations, and actively engaging in class discussions and activities.

What are some common physics concepts that students struggle with?

Some common physics concepts that students may struggle with include kinematics (the study of motion), forces and Newton's laws of motion, energy and work, and electricity and magnetism. These concepts often involve complex mathematical equations and require a deep understanding of fundamental principles.

Can I apply physics concepts to real-world situations?

Yes, physics concepts are applied to real-world situations all the time. From understanding the motion of objects in everyday life to the development of advanced technologies, physics plays a crucial role in our understanding and manipulation of the physical world.