Comparison test for convergence problem: why is this incorrect?

In summary, The original question is about determining whether a given series converges or diverges. The series is compared to a similar one using the comparison test, and it is determined that it converges. The choice of comparison may not have been the easiest, but it is still correct. The software for the online assignment may only accept the most natural choice.
skyturnred

Homework Statement

The original question is posted on my online-assignment. It asks the following:

Determine whether the following series converges or diverges:

[itex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}[/itex][itex]\frac{3^{n}}{3+7^{n}}[/itex]

There are 3 entry fields for this question. One right next to the series above with the following options:

either [itex]\succ[/itex] or [itex]\prec[/itex] then next to that there is a field in which to input the thing that I am going to compare it to.

the third and final field I choose divergent or convergent

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I compared it to ([itex]\frac{4^{n}}{6^{n}}[/itex]) because the original series is clearly less than this one. By doing the comparison test I determined that the series converges.

So I get "less than" right and "converges" right but I didn't get the other part right. Isn't it true that the original series is less than the one I decided above? Or was I wrong somewhere else?

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything you said sounds trues, though I'm not sure I understand the question?

Also, why wouldn't you just compare to [itex] \sum_n \frac{3^n}{7^n} [/itex]?

Last edited:
That must be it.. I was just slight confused as to whether it was bigger or smaller than the original series, so I wanted to be EXTRA sure by choosing the one I mentioned above. I guess that must have been where I went wrong. But still, is what I did above correct? I realize that I could have made an "easier" decision for what to compare it to, but isn't what I chose still correct?

Thanks!

yeah looks ok to me, generally want to choose the easiest to compare and the closest possible.

For the pupose of the convergence, as long as for some n>N each term yn> xn and (sum yn) converges, then (sum xn) converges

If it's an automatically graded online assignment the software might be hard-coded to only accept the most natural choice. What you did is correct though.

1. What is the Comparison Test for convergence?

The Comparison Test is a method used to determine whether an infinite series converges or diverges. It involves comparing the series in question to another series whose convergence or divergence is known.

2. Why is using the Comparison Test sometimes incorrect?

The Comparison Test is based on the idea that if a series is smaller than a convergent series, then it must also converge. However, this is not always true, as there are cases where a series may be smaller than a convergent series but still diverge.

3. What are some common mistakes when using the Comparison Test for convergence?

One common mistake is incorrectly identifying the series to compare to. Another mistake is forgetting to check for conditions such as absolute convergence or monotonicity, which may affect the validity of the test.

4. How can I avoid making mistakes when using the Comparison Test?

To avoid mistakes, it is important to carefully choose the series to compare to and to check for any additional conditions that may affect the convergence of the series. It is also helpful to practice and review examples of applying the Comparison Test.

5. Are there alternative methods for determining convergence besides the Comparison Test?

Yes, there are other methods such as the Ratio Test, Root Test, and Integral Test that can be used to determine convergence. It is important to choose the method that is most appropriate for the series in question.