Proof of one of the properties of Real Coordinate Vector Spaces

In summary, a Real Coordinate Vector Space is a mathematical concept used to model systems by adding and multiplying vectors with real numbers. Its properties include closure under addition and scalar multiplication, associativity and commutativity of addition, and distributivity of scalar multiplication over addition. These properties are proven using the definition of vector addition and the properties of real numbers. Proofs are important in understanding the properties of Real Coordinate Vector Spaces because they provide a logical explanation and deepen one's understanding of the concept and its applications.
jwqwerty
1. Homework Statement

Prove that there is an additive identity 0∈R^n: For all v∈R^n, v+0=v2. Homework Equations

Axiom of Real Numbers:
There is an additive identity 0∈R : For all a∈R, a+0=a and o+a=a

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Solution 1 (My own attempt)
: Let v=(v1, v2, v3... vn). Then by axiom of R (as stated above), for every vi (i=1, 2..., n) there exists 0∈R such that vi+0=vi. Thus, there exists 0=(0,0,...0)∈R^n.

Solution 2 (Professor's Attempt)
: Let 0=(0,0,...0)∈R^n
then v+0=(v1, v2 ... vn) + (0,0...0)
=(v1+0, v2+0, ... vn+0)
=(v1, v2 ... vn) - by axiom of R (as stated above)
=v

However, I think solution 2 has a problem that it assumed existence of 0 when the question is asking to prove its existence. Or is my thought wrong? And also, is there anything wrong with solution 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
The professor wrote down a vector (0,0,...,0) which he then called the zero vector. He proved that this vector satisfied the required property, he didn't assume that it satisfied the property required.Your attempt ends too early in my opinion. You constructed a vector which you call 0, but at no point do you actually write down the line v+0=v which is what you need to prove happens (it only really requires one additional line to finish it)

Your confusion seems to stem from notation. 0 is often used to refer to the vector which is the additive identity. However, in both your proof and the professor's 0 is referring to a vector of all zeros - this is not a priori the additive identity. It's just a name being given to a vector, and you have to prove it satisfies the additive identity property

Your professor is using the fact that, from the definition of Rn, Rn contains (0, 0, ..., 0). He then proves that it is the 0 vector.

Office_Shredder said:
The professor wrote down a vector (0,0,...,0) which he then called the zero vector. He proved that this vector satisfied the required property, he didn't assume that it satisfied the property required.

Well, but the question is asking to prove its existence. Then, I think we can't just write down a vector (0,0...,0) (zero vector) because we do not know its existene. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Office_Shredder said:
(it only really requires one additional line to finish it)

Also, I do not get what you mean by this.

jwqwerty said:
Well, but the question is asking to prove its existence. Then, I think we can't just write down a vector (0,0...,0) (zero vector) because we do not know its existence. Please correct me if I am wrong.

You are wrong. ##R^n## is the set of all n-tuples of real numbers, and that includes ##\vec 0 = (0,0,0,...,0)##. You just have to prove the vector I denoted ##\vec 0## has the additive identity property.

LCKurtz said:
You are wrong. ##R^n## is the set of all n-tuples of real numbers, and that includes ##\vec 0 = (0,0,0,...,0)##. You just have to prove the vector I denoted ##\vec 0## has the additive identity property.

Ok i understand the second solution. But why is my solution wrong? I think the first solution has no logical flaws.

jwqwerty said:
Solution 1 (My own attempt)
: Let v=(v1, v2, v3... vn). Then by axiom of R (as stated above), for every vi (i=1, 2..., n) there exists 0∈R such that vi+0=vi. Thus, there exists 0=(0,0,...0)∈R^n.

jwqwerty said:
Ok i understand the second solution. But why is my solution wrong? I think the first solution has no logical flaws.

Your argument is incomplete, that's all. Your statement that there exists ## (0,0,0...,0)\in R^n## doesn't need proof. The fact that you named that vector 0 doesn't make it the additive identity. You have all you need but you just need to write down the steps for$$
\vec 0 + \vec v = \hbox{use the definition of vector addition and your first two sentences here to get }=\vec v$$ and its commutative cousin.

1. What is a Real Coordinate Vector Space?

A Real Coordinate Vector Space is a mathematical concept that describes a set of objects (vectors) that can be added together and multiplied by real numbers. It is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is used to model many real-world systems.

2. What are the properties of Real Coordinate Vector Spaces?

The properties of Real Coordinate Vector Spaces include closure under addition and scalar multiplication, associativity and commutativity of addition, and distributivity of scalar multiplication over addition. These properties ensure that vector operations are well-defined and follow consistent rules.

3. How is closure under addition proved for Real Coordinate Vector Spaces?

Closure under addition is proved by showing that the sum of any two vectors in a Real Coordinate Vector Space is also a vector in the same space. This is done by using the definition of vector addition and the properties of real numbers.

4. Can you explain the proof for distributivity of scalar multiplication over addition in Real Coordinate Vector Spaces?

The proof for distributivity involves showing that multiplying a scalar by the sum of two vectors is equal to the sum of the scalar multiplied by each vector separately. This is done by using the properties of real numbers and the definition of scalar multiplication.

5. Why are proofs important in understanding the properties of Real Coordinate Vector Spaces?

Proofs are important because they provide a rigorous and logical explanation for why certain properties hold true in Real Coordinate Vector Spaces. They also help to build a deeper understanding of the concept and its applications in various fields of science and mathematics.