Why is H4SiO4 unstable in hydrolysis reactions?

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an example of hydrolysis in which SiCl4 reacts with water to produce H4SiO4 and 4HCl. However, it is noted that H4SiO4 is unstable and eventually forms H2SiO3 and H2O. The person asking for help is confused about the instability of H4SiO4 and asks for clarification.
Saitama
I was studying about the hydrolysis and i saw an example in my book showing the hydrolysis of the compounds having vacant d-orbitals. In the example, hydrolysis of SiCl4 is shown.

SiCl4 is attacked by water molecules and produce H4SiO4 and 4HCl. Then it is written that H4SiO4 is unstable and forms H2SiO3 and H2O. Can somebody explain me why H4SiO4 is unstable?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks! :smile:

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Are you sure about the H2SiO4 formula?

Borek said:
Are you sure about the H2SiO4 formula?

I am sorry Borek, i should have written H4SiO4. I was in a little hurry when i posted the question, sorry about that.

Can you help me now?

What is H2SiO4 and why is it unstable?

H2SiO4, also known as silicic acid, is a chemical compound composed of hydrogen, silicon, and oxygen. It is unstable because it readily decomposes into other compounds, such as silica and water.

What causes the instability of H2SiO4?

The instability of H2SiO4 is due to the high energy of its chemical bonds. The Si-O bond in silicic acid is relatively weak, making it susceptible to breaking and forming other compounds.

Can H2SiO4 be stabilized?

It is difficult to stabilize H2SiO4 because of its high energy bonds. However, in certain conditions, such as in the presence of certain metal ions, it can form stable complexes. Additionally, it can be stabilized through the formation of oligomers, which are small clusters of silicic acid molecules.

Why is the stability of H2SiO4 important?

The stability of H2SiO4 is important in various industries, such as the production of ceramics and glass. Understanding its stability can also provide insights into the behavior of other silicate compounds, which are important components in rocks and minerals.

What happens when H2SiO4 is heated?

When H2SiO4 is heated, it undergoes thermal decomposition and breaks down into silica (SiO2) and water (H2O). This is because the high temperature disrupts the weak Si-O bonds, causing them to break and form more stable compounds.