Impedance of an emitted audio amplifier

In summary, the emitter resistor ( RE1 and RE2) is bypassed in the small signal model for the transistor, so the output impedance is only based on RC and CE.
nobrainer612

Homework Statement

I drew the emitted audio amplifier in the picture below. When I looked at my lab manual, it says the impedance should be Zin and Zout, which

Zin = R1*R2/(R1+R2) and Zout = Rc

I have a few questions about impedance relate to this circuit:

1.) I saw the source is AC source, is that why CB is not included in the impedance?
2.) Why is Zout only included RC? How about the RE1 and RE2? ( In my memory, I think RE2 is short by CE since it is AC, but I am not sure so I want to check my concept.) Thank you

2v01kck.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
CB is a coupling capacitor and is chosen to have negligible X for the frequencies of operation. Although CB would usually be regarded as part of the amplifier circuit and thus making its reactance part of the input Z of this amplifier, as its reactance is chosen to be low then it can be overlooked in comparison to other components. RS is the output impedance of the signal generator and that is not part of this amplifier stage.

For the output Z you need to look at the small signal model for the transistor with the addition of RE1 and RC. Correct, RE2 is bypassed so does not show on the ac model. https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

This would probably be considered a variation of COMMON EMITTER AMPLIFIER, with part of the emitter resistor not bypassed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still don't quite understand why for the output impedance Zout , we are ignoring RE1 and CE? I have tried to look at the small signal model for the transistor on the internet, but having a hard time understand what it says.

Can anyone please tell me how the small signal model for transistor work in simple word? Thanks a lot. At this moment, I will keep trying to look on internet and see if I can understand.

1. What is impedance?

Impedance is the measure of the opposition that an electrical circuit presents to the flow of alternating current (AC).

2. How does impedance affect an audio amplifier?

Impedance affects an audio amplifier by determining the amount of current that can flow through it. A low impedance means more current can flow, while a high impedance means less current can flow.

3. What is the ideal impedance for an audio amplifier?

The ideal impedance for an audio amplifier depends on the type of speaker being used. Generally, a lower impedance (4-8 ohms) is ideal for most speakers, as it allows for more current to flow and therefore produces a louder sound.

4. Can impedance affect the sound quality of an audio amplifier?

Yes, impedance can affect the sound quality of an audio amplifier. If the impedance is too high, the amplifier may not be able to provide enough power to the speakers, resulting in a weaker and distorted sound. If the impedance is too low, the amplifier may overheat and potentially damage the speakers.

5. How can I measure the impedance of an audio amplifier?

The impedance of an audio amplifier can be measured using a multimeter. Set the multimeter to the ohms setting and connect the leads to the speaker output terminals of the amplifier. The reading on the multimeter will indicate the impedance of the amplifier.