Calculating line currents if one leg of a star system is short circuited.

In summary: Assuming 3ɸ, why would the relative angle change from 120° to 90°?This is a three-phase star connected system. The angle would remain 120° as the circuit cannot have an influence on the 3-phase source. (Am I correct in this assumption?).
No36
Hey guys,

Been struggling with this for ages any help would be awesome.

In Electrical engineering;
Suppose you have a balanced multiphase star system with a given line voltage. The impedance of each phase is also know.

If one of the coils is short circuited, calculate the line currents.

I'm assuming the two remaining phases are 90degrees apart so that the line voltage remains constant between all 3 remaining nodes. Also that the phase and line voltage of the remaining nodes are equal. Is this correct?

I cannot understand why there are two different line currents? Shouldn't these both be equal to the line voltage divided by the impedance?

Physics news on Phys.org
No36 said:
In Electrical engineering;
Suppose you have a balanced multiphase star system with a given line voltage. The impedance of each phase is also know.

Hi No36 ... http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

"Star" connected, so are you talking about 3ɸ https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon5.gif

"Impedance of each phase"? Are you talking about shorting the output of a generator? Or shorting one of the 3 load impedances of a star-connected load without a neutral connection?
If one of the coils is short circuited, calculate the line currents.
Coil? What coil? :confused:
I'm assuming the two remaining phases are 90degrees apart so that the line voltage remains constant between all 3 remaining nodes. Also that the phase and line voltage of the remaining nodes are equal. Is this correct?
Assuming 3ɸ, why would the relative angle change from 120° to 90°? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. Just typed out a very long reply which got lost when I tried posting.

In short:

It is a three-phase star connected system.

You are right the angle would remain 120degrees as the circuit cannot have an influence on the 3-phase source. (Am I correct in this assumption?).

Let:
There be 4 nodes R,B,Y and N.
Let R,B and Y be connected to N such that RN, BN and YN exist as 3 similar "legs".
Between R and N a coil is connected with a resistance and inductance.
Vrnb = Vbny = Vynr = Line Voltage.
Vnr = Vnb = Vny = Positive direction of phase voltages.

Now let B be shorted to N.

This now means Vrnb = Vrn, Vbny = Vny. These are now equal to the line voltage.
In my opinion Vrn = Vny = V(Line Voltage) = Vrny.
Yet it can be shown Vrny = Vrn + Vny ;
Vrny^2 = Vrn^2 + Vny^2 - 2VrnVyncos(120)
= 2V^2-2V^2cos120
= 2V^2(1-cos(120)).

I actually managed to solve my problem from the statements above whilst typing my reply :P Thank you so much for helping me find the right questions to ask.

I still however can't understand why Vrny assumes this value. Shouldn't it be the same as the line voltage? Or does the potential difference just always asume the greater p.d. applied across it? Doesn't the line voltage that is still applied from R to Y "drag" down this voltage?

Again, thank you for your time.

There be 4 nodes R,B,Y and N.
N is the star point? (I wouldn't label it N when there is no neutral line.)

So with one line, say B, connected to the star point, you have the line voltage applied across two loads. So R carries the phase current, Y carries the same phase current, and B carries the vector sum of those two.

What do you mean by no neutral line? I guess there won't be a neutral line since its shorted to the B point, but this is originally a 4 wire system with a neutral point.

You are shorting the line to neutral? Won't that trip a circuit breaker?

1. How is a star system different from other electrical systems?

A star system is a type of electrical system where the three phases of the system are connected in a star or "Y" configuration. This is different from other systems such as delta systems where the phases are connected in a triangle or "Δ" configuration.

2. What does it mean for one leg of a star system to be short circuited?

A short circuit occurs when there is an unintended connection between a high voltage and low voltage point in an electrical system. In a star system, this means that one of the three phases is directly connected to the neutral point, resulting in a lower overall resistance and an increased flow of current.

3. Why is it important to calculate line currents in a star system with a short circuit?

Knowing the line currents in a star system with a short circuit is important for several reasons. It can help identify where the short circuit is occurring and allow for targeted repairs. It also helps to prevent overloading of the remaining phases and potential damage to equipment.

4. How do you calculate line currents in a star system with a short circuit?

To calculate the line currents in a star system with a short circuit, you will need to use Ohm's law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). In this case, the voltage will be the line-to-neutral voltage and the resistance will be the total impedance of the system. This calculation will need to be done for each phase to determine the line currents.

5. Can the line currents be calculated without knowing the impedance of the system?

No, the line currents cannot be accurately calculated without knowing the impedance of the system. The impedance takes into account the resistance and reactance of the system and is necessary for determining the total resistance in the circuit. Without this value, the calculation would not be accurate.