Why Doesn't Diatomaceous Earth Cut Humans?

• Medical
  • Thread starter GladScientist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cut Earth
In summary, Diatomaceous Earth is a very fine white powder, used for insect control among other things. According to my research on the webernets, it works by "cutting up" the exoskeletons of insects, and drying them out resulting in death. Because this substance works through mechanical means rather than chemical, it is completely harmless to humans, pets (except your Madagascar cockroach), and is even found in many foods that we eat. However, no amount of searching I do can find me an answer to the simple question: why doesn't it cut humans? The only answer that I get is that it is "too small." Huh? If I have a sharp knife, and I make it even smaller, it
GladScientist
Diatomaceous Earth is a very fine white powder, used for insect control among other things. According to my research on the webernets, it works by "cutting up" the exoskeletons of insects, and drying them out resulting in death.

Because this substance works through mechanical means rather than chemical, it is completely harmless to humans, pets (except your Madagascar cockroach), and is even found in many foods that we eat.

However, no amount of searching I do can find me an answer to the simple question: why doesn't it cut humans? The only answer that I get is that it is "too small." Huh? If I have a sharp knife, and I make it even smaller, it's only become sharper, thus more capable of cutting me. How is this substance able to cut insects but not humans?

Biology news on Phys.org
GladScientist said:
Diatomaceous Earth is a very fine white powder, used for insect control among other things. According to my research on the webernets, it works by "cutting up" the exoskeletons of insects, and drying them out resulting in death.

Because this substance works through mechanical means rather than chemical, it is completely harmless to humans, pets (except your Madagascar cockroach), and is even found in many foods that we eat.

However, no amount of searching I do can find me an answer to the simple question: why doesn't it cut humans? The only answer that I get is that it is "too small." Huh? If I have a sharp knife, and I make it even smaller, it's only become sharper, thus more capable of cutting me. How is this substance able to cut insects but not humans?
I looked into this a few months back and what I read is not that it "cuts" insects per se, but that it gets stuck in their joints and the more they move the more it gets driven into the soft tissue there. It's the right size and sharpness for that. Human skin cells don't grind against each other in a way that would drive the DE deeper in between them.

I'm not completely sure why it's safe for internal use but I would deduce it's because, the alimentary tract between the mouth and stomach is protected by mucous, and, once in the stomach the DE, which is calcium carbonate, is quickly dissolved by stomach acids.

Yeah, I've considered the possibility that "cut" isn't necessarily used in a literal sense as we imagine it. That could be the explanation.

I understood (though I may be wrong) that where it does its damage is in the breathing canals in an insect's abdomen. If the diatomaceous Earth is just the right size, it will get jammed in there and wreak havoc.

If our alveoli have a different dimension - larger or smaller - then no jamming.

DaveC426913 said:
I understood (though I may be wrong) that where it does its damage is in the breathing canals in an insect's abdomen. If the diatomaceous Earth is just the right size, it will get jammed in there and wreak havoc.
This would certainly kill them faster than immobilization.

DaveC426913 said:

If our alveoli have a different dimension - larger or smaller - then no jamming.

While this sounds plausible, I'm pretty sure that it has nothing to do with inhalation, according to the sources I've looked at.

More information here, method of action starts on page 339:
http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/grsc_subi/Teaching/GRSC651/GRSC651_Courses_Material/lecture_slides/GRSC651_lect_20(1)_Inert_Dusts.pdf

Be careful with inhalation if the dust is based on silica crystals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Monique said:
More information here, method of action starts on page 339:
http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/grsc_subi/Teaching/GRSC651/GRSC651_Courses_Material/lecture_slides/GRSC651_lect_20(1)_Inert_Dusts.pdf
Interesting! It soaks up their wax covering and they dry out.

Be careful with inhalation if the dust is based on silica crystals.
And not calcium carbonate as I thought, though there's no safe dust to inhale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bumping this as I never got a totally clear answer.

GladScientist said:
Can you explain what is not clear to you?

GladScientist said:
Go to p. 340 of Monique's link and read "Proposed Modes of Action". This is the best info anyone has dug up.

Their best bet is that DE absorbs the wax ( epicuticular lipid layers) from the insect's outer shell. That wax is holding their moisture in, so without it they dry up and that leads to their death. There are pictures of a bug there covered with dust that has soaked up it's wax: looks covered in white moss.

So it doesn't have anything to do with cutting or chipping away the exoskeleton, but simply dries them out?

That sounds like an acceptable answer, but if that's the case then it's odd that most sources describe DE to "cut" insects.

Evo said:
Can you explain what is not clear to you?

I haven't seen a satisfactory answer to the question in the title. Unless the DE doesn't cut insects in the first place, in which case it's just misleading.

Last edited:

1. Why is diatomaceous earth used for cutting?

Diatomaceous earth is used for cutting because it is a naturally abrasive substance made from the fossilized remains of diatoms. These tiny organisms have hard, sharp shells that can cut through the exoskeletons of insects and other small creatures. This property makes it an effective pest control method, as well as a useful abrasive for cleaning and polishing.

2. Does diatomaceous earth harm humans?

No, diatomaceous earth does not harm humans when used properly. The sharp edges of the diatom shells are small enough that they cannot cut through human skin. However, it is important to use food-grade diatomaceous earth and avoid inhaling large amounts, as this can irritate the respiratory system.

3. How does diatomaceous earth kill insects without harming humans?

Diatomaceous earth works by physically cutting through the exoskeleton of insects and absorbing their moisture, causing them to dehydrate and die. Since human skin is much thicker and less porous than insect exoskeletons, diatomaceous earth does not have the same effect on humans.

4. Can diatomaceous earth be used for cutting in industrial settings?

Yes, diatomaceous earth can be used for cutting in industrial settings. In fact, it is commonly used as an abrasive in products such as toothpaste, metal polishes, and paint removers. However, it is important to use appropriate safety measures to avoid inhaling large amounts of diatomaceous earth, which can irritate the respiratory system.

5. Are there any risks associated with using diatomaceous earth for cutting?

While diatomaceous earth is generally considered safe for use, there are some potential risks. Inhaling large amounts of diatomaceous earth can irritate the respiratory system, and it is important to use proper protective gear when handling it. There have also been concerns about the potential long-term effects of exposure to diatomaceous earth, so it is recommended to use it sparingly and follow safety guidelines.