Chapstick addiction: do you have this problem? how do i wean myself

• Medical
  • Thread starter pa5tabear
  • Start date
In summary, using chapstick multiple times a day can lead to chapped lips. If you stop using it, your lips will dry out and crust. Switching to another brand or using plain petroleum jelly can solve the problem.
pa5tabear
I'm in the habit of using chapstick multiple times a day. This isn't a problem, apart from the fact that I'm somewhat dependent on it. If I stop applying it, it seems like the outer layer of skin will always dry out and crust.

Is this just something to deal with?

My goal is moist and sumptuous lips that never require chapstick.

Biology news on Phys.org
Years ago there was a particular brand of lip protectant that I was using quite a lot. I had the same issue you did, that it wasn't really making my lips better, but they sure felt bad when I didn't use the stuff. I started to think maybe it was the lip product that I was reacting to somehow.

I stopped by substituting another product - just plain petroleum jelly. This was immediately helpful, no more chapped lips at all. And I only applied it once or twice a day.

Just to see what would happen, I went back the first product again. Sure enough my lips were chapped right away. I think I was reacting to something in the product, like a dermatitis type of reaction.

Try switching to another brand, or better yet try petroleum jelly.

I agree, switch to plain vaseline.

Evo said:
I agree, switch to plain vaseline.
That's my wife's go-to. Chapstick and other lip treatments just don't cut it.

I wrote chapstick, but I meant to refer to lip balm in general.

My preference is burt's bees but I use petroleum jelly as well and it seems like I still need to apply daily or else I get chapped lips.

Do you all view it as a necessary daily habit?

pa5tabear said:
My preference is burt's bees but I use petroleum jelly as well and it seems like I still need to apply daily or else I get chapped lips.

If you keep buying Burt's, you will enrich Roxanne. That's not a bad thing, because she uses her wealth to buy up Maine wild-land and sequester it. She is a nice person, IMO. I have never met her personally, but she seems willing to use her money to save wild lands in Maine for everybody. That's pretty nice.

pa5tabear said:
I wrote chapstick, but I meant to refer to lip balm in general.

Burt's Bees was the brand giving me trouble, btw. Try avoiding it for a while, see if it helps. If you google 'burts bees lip reaction', you get a lot of hits - seems it gives some people trouble.

Burt's Bee's also damaged my lips, it has a way too high concentration of peppermint oil.

1. What is chapstick addiction?

Chapstick addiction, also known as lip balm addiction, is a condition where a person becomes dependent on using chapstick or other lip balms excessively to keep their lips moisturized. This addiction can also lead to compulsive behaviors such as constantly reapplying chapstick even when not necessary.

2. How do I know if I have a chapstick addiction?

If you find yourself constantly reaching for your chapstick throughout the day, even when your lips are not dry, or if you experience discomfort or anxiety when you don't have chapstick available, you may have a chapstick addiction. It is important to talk to a medical professional for a proper diagnosis.

3. Is chapstick addiction a real problem?

While chapstick addiction may not be as serious as other substance addictions, it is still a real problem for those who struggle with it. The constant use of chapstick can lead to physical dependence, and the psychological aspect of the addiction can impact a person's daily life and well-being.

4. How can I wean myself off of chapstick?

The first step to weaning yourself off of chapstick is to recognize and acknowledge that you have an addiction. Then, gradually decrease your usage of chapstick over time. You can also try using alternative methods, such as drinking more water, to keep your lips moisturized. Seeking support from a therapist or support group can also be helpful in overcoming chapstick addiction.

5. Are there any potential health risks associated with chapstick addiction?

There are potential health risks associated with chapstick addiction, such as lip irritation and inflammation due to overuse of certain ingredients in chapstick. Additionally, constantly applying chapstick can prevent your lips from producing their own natural moisture, leading to a dependency on chapstick for hydration. It is important to address chapstick addiction before it causes further health issues.