If I'm losing muscle mass , are some of my muscle cells actually disappearing?

In summary: If there are fat cells present, will the fat cells always be "utilized" for energy before the muslce cells?No, not always.
pa5tabear
If I'm "losing muscle mass", are some of my muscle cells actually disappearing?

I've been running a lot lately and losing weight. Mostly getting leaner, but recently I've started to worry about losing muscle mass. I used to lift weights a lot, but I haven't done that in a few months. If I keep up my current routine, will the muscle cells shrink? Will they be consumed or disappear, so that there are then fewer muscle cells?

Biology news on Phys.org

yes unfortunately, the converse is true with fat cells

mazinse said:

Are you saying that fat cells never go away? Are new ones formed when you get fatter?

Under what sort of conditions do muscle cells go away? And are they directly consumed by the body for energy? How would this happen?

If there are fat cells present, will the fat cells always be "utilized" for energy before the muslce cells?

pa5tabear said:
I've been running a lot lately and losing weight. Mostly getting leaner, but recently I've started to worry about losing muscle mass. I used to lift weights a lot, but I haven't done that in a few months. If I keep up my current routine, will the muscle cells shrink? Will they be consumed or disappear, so that there are then fewer muscle cells?

mazinse said:

That is incorrect.

Skeletal muscle exists as a syncytium. When you loose muscle mass from under-use of muscle or something like starvation, your body breaks down the myofibers (composed of protein). Muscle cells are relatively static throughout life and do little in the way of cell divisions.

Unless a very pathological process is happening your muscle cells shouldn't be dying off (necrosis).

More info if you are interested; muscle atrophy

pa5tabear said:
Are you saying that fat cells never go away? Are new ones formed when you get fatter?

Under what sort of conditions do muscle cells go away? And are they directly consumed by the body for energy? How would this happen?

If there are fat cells present, will the fat cells always be "utilized" for energy before the muslce cells?

Fat too for the most part is relatively static. In most people, the amount of fat cells you have starting adulthood is what you keep throughout most of your adult life. These fat cells grow by hypertrophy not hyperplasia under normal circumstances and for most people. There are exceptions to this in things like inherited problems leading to obesity. But for the average American, packing on the pounds means expanding the volume of the fat cells you already have.

People who exercise a lot, while consuming little meat, and lose significant weight, are sometimes at risk of muscle loss due to deficiency in carnitine in the body. If you fit that description, seek qualified medical or nutritional advice.

Jim Pivonka said:
People who exercise a lot, while consuming little meat, and lose significant weight, are sometimes at risk of muscle loss due to deficiency in carnitine in the body. If you fit that description, seek qualified medical or nutritional advice.

Is this true? I just scanned the wikipedia on carnitine and it looks like carnitine assists in metabolism of fats. Yes, if you're consuming little meat, then you won't be getting much carnitine. Does this mean muscles will be utilized for energy more than they would if carnitine were more bioavailable in the body?

1. What causes muscle cells to disappear?

There are several factors that can contribute to the loss of muscle cells, including age, inactivity, and certain medical conditions. As we age, our bodies naturally lose muscle mass due to a decrease in hormone production and a decrease in physical activity. Inactivity, such as a sedentary lifestyle or being bedridden, can also lead to the loss of muscle cells. Additionally, certain medical conditions, such as cancer or kidney disease, can cause muscle wasting.

2. Can muscle cells regenerate after they have disappeared?

Yes, muscle cells have the ability to regenerate and repair themselves. When muscle cells are damaged or lost, satellite cells, a type of stem cell, are activated to help repair and replace the damaged cells. However, the rate and effectiveness of muscle cell regeneration can decrease with age and certain medical conditions.

3. How can I prevent the loss of muscle cells?

Maintaining an active lifestyle and engaging in regular resistance training can help prevent the loss of muscle cells. Adequate protein intake is also important for maintaining muscle mass. Additionally, managing any underlying medical conditions and avoiding prolonged periods of inactivity can also help prevent the loss of muscle cells.

4. Can the loss of muscle cells affect my overall health?

Yes, the loss of muscle cells can have negative impacts on overall health. Muscle cells play a crucial role in maintaining strength, balance, and metabolism. The loss of muscle cells can lead to decreased physical function, increased risk of falls and injuries, and a decrease in metabolic rate.

5. Is it possible to regain muscle cells that have been lost?

While it may not be possible to completely regain all muscle cells that have been lost, engaging in regular resistance training and maintaining a healthy lifestyle can help increase muscle mass and improve muscle cell function. However, the rate and effectiveness of muscle cell regeneration may be influenced by factors such as age and underlying medical conditions.