Is Poorly Adjusted Headrests More Dangerous Than No Headrest at All?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Jobrag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, to adjust your car headrest, locate the headrest behind your head and use the button or lever on the side of the headrest or seat to adjust the height and angle. It is important to adjust your car headrest for safety and comfort while driving, with the top of the headrest level with the top of your head. The angle can also be adjusted for added comfort, but make sure it is not tilted too far back. While most headrests can be removed, it is not recommended as it can compromise safety in case of an accident. If needed, make sure to reattach the headrest before driving.
Jobrag
In the nineteen seventies I remember being told that a badly adjusted headrest was more dangerous then no headrest at all. After an internet search I've not been able to find any evidence that this was correct.
Was this the orthodoxy of the seventies?
Is it still regarded as correct?
Can anyone provide a link to any respectable research?

Biology news on Phys.org
I googled Car Headrest Adjustment, and got lots of hits. Here is one from CBS News from 2009:

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500166_162-575048.html

1. How do I adjust my car headrest?

To adjust your car headrest, sit in your car and locate the headrest behind your head. Depending on your car model, there may be a button or lever on the side of the headrest or on the seat itself. Push or pull the button/lever to adjust the height or angle of the headrest to your desired position.

2. Why is it important to adjust my car headrest?

Adjusting your car headrest is important for your safety and comfort while driving. A properly adjusted headrest can help prevent neck injuries in case of a rear-end collision. It can also provide support and reduce strain on your neck and shoulders during long drives.

3. How high should my car headrest be?

Your car headrest should be adjusted so that the top of the headrest is level with the top of your head. This will provide the most support and protection in case of an accident. Make sure the headrest is not too low, as this can cause strain on your neck.

4. Can I adjust the angle of my car headrest?

Yes, most car headrests can be adjusted for both height and angle. Adjusting the angle can provide more comfort and support for your head and neck. However, make sure the headrest is not tilted too far back, as this can cause neck strain.

5. Can I remove my car headrest?

In most cars, the headrest can be removed by pressing a button or lever and pulling the headrest up and out. However, it is not recommended to remove the headrest as it can compromise your safety in case of an accident. If you need to remove the headrest for a specific reason, make sure to reattach it before driving.