Correcting camera distance with zoom

In summary, in an experimental setup with four pinhole type cameras, one camera has a different magnification and is placed 72.5% further away with 52.5% less magnification compared to the rest. The magnification can be adjusted using a 52.5% zoom in photoshop, but the difference in position may still cause a difference in perspective. Moving the image plane on the further camera may help compensate, but the relative perspective may still be off.
Kidphysics
So I have four pinhole type cameras in my experimental setup. All of them have the same magnification and are placed at the same distance away at different locations except one which has a different magnification and zoom. This camera is 72.5% further and has 52.5% less magnification as the rest of the cameras. The magnification problem could be worked out in a photoshop by an appropriate 52.5% zoom (or so I naively assume) but how to correctly zoom to adjust the difference due to position seems to be a harder problem. I am only familiar with the lens-makers equation to tie in magnification levels with image distances etc, but a pinhole is not a lens and I am not sure how to fix the distance problem with zoom. Any ideas? I'd like to calibrate all of the cameras. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The beauty of an -- ideal -- pinhole camera is that there is none of that focal length nonsense to obscure the relationship of image to object. The ratio of I-O distances should be the same as the ratio of I-O sizes. So you should be able to move the image plane on your more-distant camera to compensate. Note that you will still have a different viewing angle so the perspective of objects at various distances will not exactly match the other cameras, much like changing from wide-angle to telephoto lenses on a grown-up camera.

schip666! said:
The beauty of an -- ideal -- pinhole camera is that there is none of that focal length nonsense to obscure the relationship of image to object. The ratio of I-O distances should be the same as the ratio of I-O sizes. So you should be able to move the image plane on your more-distant camera to compensate. Note that you will still have a different viewing angle so the perspective of objects at various distances will not exactly match the other cameras, much like changing from wide-angle to telephoto lenses on a grown-up camera.

what if the pictures were already taken? Now I must use zoom to account for the distance, are you saying I can use the 72.5% further ratio and zoom by the same amount? Also what do you think of my idea to solve the magnification problem by an appropriate 52.5% zoom?

Ah, I see... Yes, you should be able to just enlarge them by the right ratio. The proof will be in the pudding when you compare the same object in multiple photos. But as I said, the relative perspective will be off for objects at different distances.

I would recommend using a calibration process to accurately determine the distance and magnification of each camera in your experimental setup. This will allow you to make precise adjustments to ensure that all cameras are capturing images at the same distance and with the same magnification.

To calibrate the cameras, you can use a known object with known dimensions placed at a fixed distance away from the cameras. By taking images of the object with each camera, you can compare the resulting images and determine the exact magnification and distance for each camera. This will allow you to make adjustments to the zoom and position of the cameras to ensure that they are all capturing images at the same distance and with the same magnification.

Additionally, you can also use mathematical equations and principles, such as the lens-maker's equation, to determine the appropriate zoom settings for the camera with the different magnification and position. This will ensure that all cameras are capturing images with the same level of detail and accuracy.

In summary, using a combination of calibration techniques and mathematical principles, you can accurately adjust the zoom and position of your cameras to ensure consistency and accuracy in your experimental setup.

What is camera distance?

Camera distance refers to the physical distance between the camera lens and the subject being photographed.

Why is it important to correct camera distance with zoom?

Correcting camera distance with zoom is important because it allows you to control the size and framing of your subject within the photograph. It also affects the depth and perspective of the image.

How does zoom affect camera distance?

Zooming in on your subject will decrease the camera distance, making the subject appear larger and closer. Zooming out will increase the camera distance and make the subject appear smaller and farther away.

What are some tips for correcting camera distance with zoom?

It's important to experiment with different zoom levels to find the right distance for your subject. Also, be aware of any distortion or loss of image quality that may occur with extreme zoom levels. Using a tripod can also help maintain a steady camera distance.

Can camera distance be corrected after the photo is taken?

In some cases, camera distance can be adjusted in post-processing using editing software. However, it's always best to try to get the correct distance while taking the photo to ensure the best quality and composition.