Tracing seismic rays - possible intersection

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving seismic wave propagation in a non-homogeneous layer over a halfspace. The problem has been solved algebraically and in Matlab, but the resulting graph shows an unexpected intersection of the seismic rays after returning from the halfspace. The velocity in the layer and halfspace are both functions of depth, with different values for k1 and k2. The y-axis is inverted, and this phenomenon is similar to the effect of different refractive indices on light. The discussion also mentions a related topic of geologic focusing of seismic waves causing damage in the Northridge Earthquake.
FermatPell
This problem is about seismic wave propagation in a non-homogeneous layer over a halfspace. I'm not asking you to solve anything, I've already solved the problem both algebraically and in Matlab. However, the graph that I've gotten mildy surprises me. According to the graph, the seismic rays intersect after returning from the half space.

iyzc06.jpg

Briefly, I was asked to trace the seismic rays originating from a point on the surface.

The velocity in the layer is a function of depth v=v0+k1z where k1=0.025
The velocity in the halfspace is a function of depth v=v0+k1H+k2(z-H) k2=0.01

where H=20km is depth of the layer

NOTE: The y-axis is inverted, z increases with depth.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the purpose of tracing seismic rays?

The purpose of tracing seismic rays is to understand the path that seismic waves take as they travel through the Earth's layers. This can help scientists determine the structure and composition of the Earth's interior.

2. How are seismic rays traced?

Seismic rays are traced using computer programs that simulate the propagation of seismic waves through the Earth. These programs use mathematical equations and data from seismic recordings to predict the path of the rays.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of tracing seismic rays?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of tracing seismic rays, including the complexity of the Earth's interior, the quality of seismic data, and the limitations of the computer programs used for tracing.

4. Why is it important to consider the possible intersection of seismic rays?

The possible intersection of seismic rays is important because it can affect the accuracy of seismic imaging and interpretation. If two or more rays intersect, it can lead to interference and distortion of the seismic data, making it more difficult to accurately determine the structure of the Earth's interior.

5. How can tracing seismic rays benefit society?

Tracing seismic rays can benefit society by providing valuable information about the Earth's interior, which can be used for various purposes such as resource exploration, earthquake hazard assessment, and understanding the effects of climate change. This information can also contribute to advancements in technology and infrastructure development.